Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Unable to Boot up Past the Microsoft Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 disastro

disastro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hello all,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this. Anyhow, a friend of mine has a Toshiba Satellite p205 laptop running windows Vista Home Premium. Within a 4 week span she has found the use of her laptop impossible. The symptoms are as follows:
- The laptop powers on and off normally, and will display a black screen with the options to hit f12 and f2 to configure settings. If allowed to run, it will continue to the Windows loading screen. However, it will simply freeze after it loads to a black screen with the mouse cursor (which is still able to move). Other times it will show a black screen with a lot of text before rapidly flickering to a BSoD, powering down immediately.
- Occasionally, the laptop will prompt to begin a system recovery, reading: "Select an OS to repair and click next." Yet, no operating systems show up in the list and loading drivers reveals nothing is on the computer anymore. Attempting to access the (C:) drive will result in unbearable lag -- to the point where it will freeze.
- Attempting to boot into safe mode is the same as trying to normally boot.

Prior to all this happening, the computer slowed down considerably and would have freezes often. Ctrl+alt+delete would not work and she would be forced to shut down the computer by pressing the power button. If any insight is revealed, that would be great. I will try to provide any additional info if needed.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Please check the laptop for any built-in diagnostic utility and run the hard drive fitness test (short then long) and RAM test, if available by booting to BIOS setup. While in BIOS, check the hard drive is also recognized or present. You can also, remove a stick of RAM (if 2 are available) and alternately use one to check on the restarting problem would go away.

Tekken

#3 disastro

disastro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

What constitutes a "fitness test" for the hard drive? In BIOS there is a memory diagnostics tool, and that's about it. The hard drive is also recognized -- everything seems to be normal (that I know of, anyway). Currently at the moment, I do not have the laptop in my possession at the moment. (I will soon, though.)

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

A short and long individual test would check for the consistency of the hard drive. Any errors found would mean that the hard drive is failing. This is also same with the memory sticks. Physically check the hard drive brand (or by device manager if possible) and go to the manufacturing support site and download either the Windows mode if you are able to boot to Windows or a DOS mode version, if its not bootable. If by chance you would need to try and salvage the data from the HD, go to this link and follow the steps on how to create a Live disc.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users