Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail App Frustration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DocNic

DocNic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I figured I would hit the forums here to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same issue I have run into with the Mail app, Microsoft account and sync with ISP e-mail settings.

New Dell laptop with Windows 8
Have contacted ISP for IMAP settings
Have contacted Microsoft (little help other than refreshing Windows)

My client purchased a new laptop and wants to use the Mail app to access their e-mail provided by a medium sized ISP local to our area. During initial setup of the PC they created their Microsoft account with the e-mail address they have with their ISP. When they open the Mail app they can send e-mail, but not receive. So we set up an e-mail account with the IMAP settings from the ISP. That account will receive e-mail, but not send.

I spent a few hours on the phone with Microsoft and the resolution (for the moment) they came to was to refresh the operating system. Which we've done. Upon getting back into the Mail app, the problem persists and occasionally the Mail app displays a white screen (appears to be unresponsive, I've seen this occur on two other Windows 8 systems while using the Mail app). So, to resolve the problem I uninstall the app and reinstall it from the store using the Microsoft account information they created on initial setup.

Essentially, we're looking at installing Outlook (to utilize the POP ability since the Mail app doesn't support POP) to handle mail for all of their accounts. However, it's frustrating to have this feature (Mail app) available and be unable to utilize it.

My questions are-
Has anyone else encountered this issue and found a resolution?
Would it be advisable to have clients create Microsoft accounts using Hotmail or some other e-mail that they will not be using on a regular basis?

Any other thoughts are more than welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DocNic

DocNic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

After much frustration and numerous hours on the phone with both Microsoft and the ISP, I've found a work around for those with IMAP/POP e-mail accounts.
Remove the Windows Mail app
Install Windows Live Essentials
Create accounts in Windows Live Mail with IMAP/POP settings.

Bingo-Presto- Problem Solved!!

Hope this helps other people experiencing this problem and that Microsoft will address this problem with a future update.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hey DocNic. Thanks for the update. The Mail app is almost worthless unfortunately. They took out almost all the features that would make it a useful app that the only solution is to switch to a desktop app like Windows Live Mail.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

quote- During initial setup of the PC they created their Microsoft account with the e-mail address they have with their ISP.

correct me if im wrong ,a Microsoft actt to use when asked on install ,is not one from your ISP ,but one from Microsoft ,like hotmail.com,or there new one www.outlook.com

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 DocNic

DocNic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

That's what I figured as well. However, I have had multiple clients set up their Microsoft account with their email address from their ISP. Also, it should be noted that I informed Microsoft while I was on the phone with them that their Microsoft account was created with the email address from their ISP and the techinician made no mention that they should have a hotmail or live account to successfully create a Microsoft account in Windows 8, or change it to resolve the problem. However, I will try that the next time I run into this issue.

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

The way I got around that problem was to install Mozilla Thunderbird email client to the desktop.. It places an aps on the start screen as well. Works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users