Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Customise Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

im having trouble customising my start menu "all programs" list. Whatever i change, it also appears on the other accounts on my pc.
How can i have a seperate start menu to the other users?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Each user does in fact have a custom start menu except for programs enabled for all users.

Unless you know exactly what you are disabling - do not change settings.
You could disable essential system aps, your firewall and av programs.

#3 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

how do i get to the custom start menu?
i thought it was the documents and settings/user/start menu/ folder but it still shows all the changes on the other accounts.
Basically i have a folder on my start menu which has my programs in it, that shouldnt be shown on other users accounts, but i cant hide it for other users
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

The documents and settings/user/start menu/ folder is the start menu for that user.

The general start menu shared by all users is documents and settings/all users/start menu.

The way to control start menus is not to use Windows Explorer to delete startups but rather the msconfig utility which unless you know what you are doing can create serious problems.

If you feel you must adjust startup items use Startup Inspector
instead. It will at least give you an idea of what a program is if you click on it on the right side if its screen.

And Startup Monitor which you can get on the same page will nitify you if any aps try to load themselves into the start menu and require your approval in a popup screen.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#5 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users