Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Drivers on New Windows XP installation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 capt zero

capt zero

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I've posted here before with this same problem, but with a different computer. I'm having problems installing the right drivers in Windows XP. The computer I'm working with now is an older Dell Optiplex GX280 I'm giving my nephew for Christmas. It has 2 gb memory and a 160 gb HDD. I have it set up for dual boot with a ntsf partition of 60gb for Windows XP and 100 gb Ext 4 for Kubuntu 12.10. For graphics it has what the factory installed built in, a Nvidia GeForce 7300 le. I do know it is a 3d graphics card. For audio AC97 Soundblaster emulation. The problem I am having relates to my Windows installation, using a generic XP sp2 installation disk. The installation went fine apparently, but when I searched the Dell site for appropriate drivers I received the following list of drivers:

Chipset- r79695 or r99397
Video - r96000 or r126541
Audio - r105155
Ethernet- r132254 or r78500 (with a note that the driver asfen75a.cab was urgent)

Having done this before, I installed the chipset driver (r79695) first. However, when I attempted to install a video driver, the first driver (r96000), the installation program told me I didn't have the proper hardware (no specifics) to install it and quit. When trying to install the second option (r126541), the aplication told me that files I needed were either missing or corrupted (it didn't specify which files) then quit.
The audio driver installed apparently properly. When trying to install the file asfen75a.cab, the overview of this driver said it was for servers, so I bypassed it temporarily. I installed the ethernet driver (r132254) and couldn't log in to the web without crashing. I installed driver (r78500) with the same result. At this point I'm rather stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en

Did you try entering the service tag?

Louis

#3 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes, the service tag number resulted in the drivers I have listed above. In addition, after posting this thread, it occurred to me to try from the other direction and I looked up the nvidia driver for my card. That too crashed due to, it said, "missing or corrupted files".

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

using a generic XP sp2 installation disk. The installation went fine apparently

By "Generic" do you also mean Dell XP install disk ??

#5 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

No it is not a Dell specific installation disk. It is a disk I bought at a garage sale that appears to be a installation disk like you'd buy at a local chain store. It's a legitimate Microsoft package with activation code and everything, it's just not system specific.

Edited by capt zero, 11 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

the aplication told me that files I needed were either missing or corrupted (it didn't specify which files)

Dell computers "usually" require "Dell Specific" CDs to do an install -

EDIT - Others may pick me up on this if I am wrong, but on my work with Dell units they needed the correct CD -

Edited by noknojon, 11 December 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#7 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

The computer I writing this on is a Dell Inspiron 531 with the same Windows installation. Had to come here for driver assistance, but got everything up and running well. I was hoping I could do the same with the Dell Optiplex.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Please visit this page below, and select the link in option 2 or 3 to procede > > >
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=427825

#9 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Noknojon,

I believe you misunderstood. I know my service tag number and did my original search under that number. The list of drivers in my first post represent the results of that search, and they don't function. I called Dell support and they weren't interested in helping with the problem, because A: they no longer support this platform, and B: they offer no support to systems that are dual boot (just mention the word Linux and you can hear the doors slam). They did, however, offer to sell me an install disk for about twice what I paid for the computer.
I was hoping to find someone here who might know a work-around for this problem.

Edited by capt zero, 12 December 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

Because the machine its a desktop you can install the driver from NVidia to the GeForce 7300 LE use this link.

For the ethernet card can you do this:
  • Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • right click the Ethernet controller with the yellow color
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Your Dell Optiplex GX280 did not come with the Nvidia GeForce 7300 le factory installed but with Intel...See System specs (PDF Download)

Video Graphics Controller . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

A quick scan of the Dell Drivers n DL site for Nvidia GeForce 7300 le reveals these 2 drivers, neither of which is "compatible" with the Optiplex by the Dell documentation:

nVidia GeForce 7300 LE (Initial release driver) http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=CC8TM

the above driver added this info under the tab "Important Information"

This version driver (vendor version 82.65) is an upgrade from A00 (vendor version 82.63) because the vendor Nvidia changed its marketing name from Nvidia 7200GS to Nvidia Geforce 7300LE.

A subsequent search for Nvidia 7200GS drivers came up empty. :angry:

nVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (driver update) http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=R129651

I'd give either of those a shot & see if they work?

Hope this helps!:busy:

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

One more minor thing -

If you managed to fully install a Linux version on this system, why are you trying to overinstall it with an XP system.
Since the computer is an older model, and has been "played with" by adding vid cards etc, the Linux will operate as an Operating System.
Have you ever thought of using Just the Linux O/System -

Read the Linux area of the forum and you will find many people that only use this one system, without need for a Dual Boot -

Thank You -

#13 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

sleepydude and union thug,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I appreciate both of your responses and these are the results. Reguarding the Device manager; I did as suggested and the results were the ethernet controller (Broadcom netExtreme 57xx Gigabit controller) appears to be functioning. The results of device instance ID is: pci\ven_14e4&dev_1677&subsys_017791028&rev_01\49d7eff9e90&00e0

I apologise for any syntax errors (I can cut and paste from Kubuntu to Windows, but Windows doesn't recognise Kubuntu and can't copy the other way). I did notice that while in the device manager, it didn't detect any audio or video controllers, so I will assume the problem lies somewhere in there.

In reguards to the other two video drivers suggested (r115021 and r129651) the results were about the same as before. Namely "no detected compatible hardware installed", then CRASH.

Thanks for your assistance, I will keep trying.

#14 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Nokojon,

The problem isn't a usable OS, if that were the only issue I would gladly and gleefully burn ever MS product I own. The Linux OS's are superior in every way to the legacy systems available presently. Most notably due to the ability to completely customise ones system. It runs about 30% faster using less rescources.
Tens of thousands of applications available for the downloading for free online. The total freedom from antivirus/spyware worries. I have been using various Linux distros for over a year and have been going anywhere and doing anything I want on the net with zero virus or spyware infections. I have spent zero minutes scanning for same, with the exception of when I first started, I ran ClamTK a few times, which eliminated the remaining infected files left over from my MS days. Since then no problems. And I do mean ZERO.

The only drawback to Linux is the games issue. For years developers have been tailoring their software to MS and Apple systems. I have a significant amount of money and time invested in some of these games. In order to run them I must have a MS OS available, which is the only thing I use it for. My nephew may wish to run some MS software and I wanted for him to have the choice.

The games issue is begining to change. Developers are recognising the growing markets of Linux users (estimated at 1 -5% worldwide) and responding, most notably Amanita Design.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

sleepydude and union thug,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I appreciate both of your responses and these are the results. Reguarding the Device manager; I did as suggested and the results were the ethernet controller (Broadcom netExtreme 57xx Gigabit controller) appears to be functioning. The results of device instance ID is: pci\ven_14e4&dev_1677&subsys_017791028&rev_01\49d7eff9e90&00e0

So the network is working or not?

In reguards to the other two video drivers suggested (r115021 and r129651) the results were about the same as before. Namely "no detected compatible hardware installed", then CRASH.

The graphic card has part of the original configuration or an upgrade?
Did you try with the GeForce driver?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users