Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this google redirect virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Janeinpa

Janeinpa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

I serve as webmaster for an organization. One of their members just let me know that when she searches google for her website and then clicks on the link, she is redirected elsewhere. I assumed this was a virus, but she says she tried other links and they work correctly. She has also tried this on her other laptop and is also redirected on the link to her website. This happens in all browsers.

I cannot recreate this on my computer. Could it be something other than a virus? There is nothing wrong with the website itself (www.12tharmoreddivisionassociation.us) how likely is it that both her computers would be infected? How is this virus usually transmitted? I think I read it may come from bogus adobe updates.

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I don't get a redirect either, at lest in FF. If you want to try a scan on he pc you could try:

Please Download Tdsskiller

Run TDSSKiller.exe
Click on Change Parameters
Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system
Start scan
When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with descriptions:
The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects and asks you what to do with suspicious objects (Skip, by default)
Just stick with the default options and click Continue
If it wants to reboot please allow it to do so and let me know
Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open

By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk where the operating system is installed, C:\) root folder. The Log will have a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

#3 Janeinpa

Janeinpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

After I posted here, I tried another computer and I got the same redirect. Then I contacted the Hosting Company for our website and it appears it has been hacked -- despite the fact that I very recently changed all the passwords to make them stronger! Do people think this stuff is fun?

#4 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Glad you got it figured out! I think they are to darn smart and get board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users