Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this hard drive perform well for storing a lot of long video files?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thaull

thaull

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I wasn't sure if this would be the right section to post this question. I have done searches of hard drive questions, and this seems like the only place to ask this question.

I want to add a second separate hard drive for videos that I'll be recording. I'm not into the whole commentary thing, and I'm thinking about buying this hard drive for gameplays only. I try to do walkthroughs on games that can be helpful to someone trying to get through a part in a game http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

My current hard drive that has my OS on it. Games run at about 30 fps with Dxtory on, and sometimes starts randomly stuttering when I turn it on to record my games, and I heard that saving games on the drive that has the OS installed on can cause FPS drops http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148612

I really care about the best quality videos out there, so I try to strive for 1080p videos, but if the write speed is only around 80+mb/s, I can deal with 720p. Not good at figuring this stuff out.

Also, my budget would be around $70. I record hours of gameplay videos, and I could leave it on the drive for weeks before deleting the files. Would this hard drive be a good choice for this? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Not sure what you intended to ask but...

Storage is storage, IMO...and the only considerations I know of for storing/editing recorded video files...revolve around having the disk in good order (chkdsk /r) and minimizing file fragmentation (defrag).

Of course, the obvious is to have sufficient space available for storing large video files.

For processing considerations...the CPU and amount of RAM...would be the major considerations...along with the program chosen for processing/editing.

I save all my video files to SATA hard drives...because they are faster than the older PATA hard drives I have around...but I have never experienced any sort of bottleneck that could be attributed to hard drive performance, whether PATA or SATA.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users