Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PSPreal

PSPreal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

My laptop hard drive recently crashed so I'll be installing a new one this week. My question is regarding Windows. I've been running Vista but I figure that if I'm going to upgrade, now is as good a time as any. Is it worth upgrading? The way I see it, my options are:

- Keep Vista
- Upgrade to Windows 7
- Upgrade to Windows 8

Also, is it better to buy the full version of the newer Windows and do a clean install or is it better to reinstall Vista and then upgrade from there? I'm assuming the price will be cheaper for the upgrade version but I would pay more if the full version is more efficient than the upgrade.

LAPTOP:
Dell 1530 XPS
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5 GHz, 6 MB cache)
3 Gig RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

hi,
Are you saying the hard drive is bad or that the windows crashed?

Moving on, I would say avoid Windows 8 since you do not have a touchscreen laptop.

Vista, If you made the recovery DVDs, easy install. Free. Vista is not that bad once you get the Service packs installed. SP1 and SP2.
Windows 7 is newer, costlier, no Major benefits as I see it over Vista. It has some improvements but not enough to make spending the money for a new OS worth it.

The Question to ask yourself is a simple one.

Did Vista do everything I wanted? If the answer is yes..............

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 PSPreal

PSPreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hard drive crashed after a small fall. Ran chkdsk for about a week to the point that I can boot and copy most of my files using xcopy from command prompt. Vista still won't boot though. I suppose I could just stick with Vista since I already own it. Just wondering if upgrading was worth it or should I stick with outdated OS. Like I said, might as well ask this question now when I'm putting the new drive in.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

Since you're replacing the hard drive, why not get the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade while it is on its introductory extremely low price, install it straight onto the new drive (which you are entitled to do as an upgrade from the Vista) and see if you like it? It's easy to install a classic shell and have the flavor of classic Windows if you prefer. If it suits, you've got the latest OS with long support period, less update downloads than a fresh Vista install etc. If you decide it's not for you, you can re-install the Vista and the Win8 upgrade can still be used at some point in the future.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users