Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3 Not Working Now

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

for some unknown reason, my computer is not recognizing my usb 3 port. it had been for the past year, but suddenly isn't working.

i re-installed the usb 3 drivers. i think it worked for a bit, but when i re-booted, it no longer is.

the usb 3 external hard drive does get powered up, just can't be communicated with.

any ideas?

thanks.

i have the motherboard: Biostar 880GU3+

i also am running w7 64-bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

A couple of things to try.

1. Unplug the external drive, then uninstall the drivers, restart, install the drivers, restart, then plug in the drive. Try restarting with the drive unplugged and see if the port is ok that way. If so try a different device in the USB3 port, Does it work? Does it keep working? Does the post only die with the USB3 drive plugged in?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

tried all that. all devices, including the external hard drive, power up when plugged into the usb 3 port, but none is recognized by the computer.

i did multiple virus scans but they found nothing. not sure if a virus would cause just this problem tho.

any chance of a mechanical problem, even if the power works?

thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm not quite clear, are you saying the USB3 port appears OK in device manager or that it shows with a Yellow mark or that it doesn't show at all?

Just for the heck of it does the BIOS show it as enabled?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

yes, the port seems ok in device manager. no yellow mark. and any device plugged into it does get power.

did check the bios.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Since it is USB3 the next test I would if it were mine is to try a new windows on a test drive and see if it worked that way. If it worked in a new windows I would know it is a Windows problem. If it still did not work then I would know it was a hardware problem.

Do you have a test hard disk drive you can load windows on? I would also unhook my normal windows drive for this test.

Also you said you reloaded the drivers, Where did they come from? Website or motherboard CD?

Are you sure about that model for the motherboard? I went here and do not see it listed. I was looking to see if they had newer drivers or a BIOS update that mentioned USB3 fixes.

I just looked again and I do see a A880GU3+ motherboard. Unfortunately their website is dead slow for me.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 December 2012 - 01:42 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

the motherboard notation on my invoice was the 1 i listed. however, i think it is the ASUS M5A88-M.

i tried the drivers on the cd and downloaded the latest on-line.

i may have a drive i could try a windows 7 install on.

if not, do u think if worst case i bought a PCI usb 3 card it would have as decent chance of working?

thanks.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

If it is the ASUS you listed then you have two PCIexpress 1x slots and they are what you should use.
If the problem is hardware then a USB3 card should work. If it is Software, Then it might/probably will not work. Depending on what the software problem is.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users