Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi AMPLIFIERS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I just purchased a R6200 NetGear router. I am very happy with its overall performace and security features. However, since I live in an older home, my walls are twice as thick as homes built with today's regular sheetrock. My walls are the older type: (slats with 2 coats of plaster on each side). So, that drastically reduces the signal range to the back end of my house.

I am interested in purchasing a WiFi Amplifier, the type that plugs into an electrical socket, in order to boost and repeat the signal to the rest of the house so the peeps in my household who use ipods, laptop computers, nooks etc can better pick up the signal.

What would you folks recommend regarding WiFi Amps? I am looking around to spend less than $60 if possible.

Thanks.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Lath and plaster walls are horrible for Wi Fi. Look at the specs and choose here: NETGEAR Wireless Range Extenders

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply and the linkage. I will be stopping by Best Buy on the way home to check out what they have. That Wifi Booster plug in looks pretty good and at around $40, that should do the trick.

I'll post back once installed to update on whether it worked or not.

Thanks!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

You're quite welcome. Looking forward to your review. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Picked up the Netgear WN3000RP with duel antenas, plugged it in, pushed the wps button on the extender, then pushed the wps on the router, and within 3 to 4 minutes, this little gadget extended my router range another 35 feet!!! Before, the WiFi signal would register barely 1 bar at the entrance to the living room and hallway to the bedrooms just past the dining room. Now, we get 4 bars in the living room and dining room and halfway down the hallway. The 2 furthest bedrooms even get 3 bars!!!. All the ipod's, itouches, Nook Color, and the Mac Laptop are all working awesome now with great upload/download speeds.

Thanks again for all your help!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

You're quite welcome. Thank you for adding your comprehensive personal experience with it. I'm sure others will appreciate the information, when considering their range extender options.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 stp869

stp869

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thank you so much for the information and quick response. I'll try this.

#8 stp869

stp869

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I hate to sound stupid, but does this router extender have to be plugged into the computer, or is it connected somewhere else in the house closer to the area that is having problems getting reception?

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Depends on what model you purchase. Some plug into a wall outlet only, others have integrated switches as well (allows you to connect a computer with a cable)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

The one I purchased plugs into an electrical socket. However, it does have a port to connect directly to the amplifier too!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users