Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Crashing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RyanB162

RyanB162

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

I originally posted this in the Am I Infected forum but boopme suggested I post it in here instead.

I'm using windows 7 home premium on an asus laptop.
Whenever I use windows explorer to look at files it'll crash. It starts to crash much quicker when I am am copying documents. It closes itself down the restarts fine. I have done a SFC /scannow which shows that only the Chinese mandarin language pack is corrupt.

I have also wiped the hard drive before which solved the problem, it then came back so I have just wiped the hard drive again. This time it has not fixed the problem.

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 while it is on offer but wanted to get my laptop fixed before I upgraded it, alternately will installing Windows 8 fix the problem completely because it is a brand new OS?

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hello,

Whenever I use windows explorer to look at files it'll crash. It starts to crash much quicker when I am am copying documents. It closes itself down the restarts fine. I have done a SFC /scannow which shows that only the Chinese mandarin language pack is corrupt.

So we need to know what/why the files are being corrupted.

I have also wiped the hard drive before which solved the problem, it then came back so I have just wiped the hard drive again. This time it has not fixed the problem.

Have you tried a "chkdsk /f" from an command window(cmd)? Do it as administrator, a reboot may be required.

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 while it is on offer but wanted to get my laptop fixed before I upgraded it, alternately will installing Windows 8 fix the problem completely because it is a brand new OS?

A new OS will only solve the problem of the damaged OS, what's causing the damage will remain unless it's software related and you don't reinstall it.

ASUS systems came/come with Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD which had firmware issues for a while. You might want to look up your make and model of hard drive and see if a new firmware is available or if others with the same model are having issues.
Hope this helps,
Zen

#3 btcomm

btcomm

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

When you wipe the drive are you doing a quick format or a full format? I've heard of an issue that wasn't solved until a full format was done to the drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Have you...run a hard drive diagnostic...on the drive?

Louis

#5 RyanB162

RyanB162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks ZenSeeker, i've set the chkdsk /f to run next time my computer turns on, btcomm i don't know if there is an option to do a quick format. When i go on the format partition i says i can restore to 1st partition (which is what i did) or create 2 partitions.

hamluis, how would i do this?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

First...go to Device Manager and look at the detail for Disk Drives. A model number will be reflected, use Google to see who the manufacturer is, if not clearly evident.

Then go to website of that manufacturer...download/burn/use the utility according to the instructions from the hard drive manufacturer.

Run the long test, ignore the short one...if both are offered.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#7 RyanB162

RyanB162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

@Zen Seeker, I think the disk scan ran when i turned my laptop on today. If it ran where would it have stored the results?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

The "disk scan" that you refer to...is really a file scan. It has no impact at all on the hard drive, other than as such relates to your file system/partition as each is installed on the hard drive.

Louis

#9 RyanB162

RyanB162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

@Hamluis I ran the file check because Zen Seeker asked me to

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

:thumbup2: , understood...just wanted to point out that a chkdsk /r is NOT a hard drive diagnostic, which I have previously suggested.

Louis

#11 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

@Zen Seeker, I think the disk scan ran when i turned my laptop on today. If it ran where would it have stored the results?

chkdsk = Checkdisk

It looks for corrupted files, bad sectors, and can repair damage.

You would have seen a prompted count-down before it started which would let you abort if needed.

If it has run and found anything you would see in the root of the "c:" drive a file or folder called "files00000" or something like it. Although its usually files and folders that are damaged or lost to the OS its rare that you can make use of them. Even the file names can be changed and no longer recognized so finding your old data in that mess can be a pain if even successful. But it would, if only temporarily, fix the OS and files by moving them to a safe spot if the hard drive is failing or has issues.

@hamluis it was /f not /r, which fixes errors on the disk. The first and easiest thing to address with his issues.

#12 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

@Hamluis I ran the file check because Zen Seeker asked me to

I didn't see any other feedback...

How's the system running now?

Did you look up your hard drive information and/or get the latest firmware for it?

Is the system stable enough to run diagnostic tools or does it still crash?

#13 RyanB162

RyanB162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

I got a black screen which went through different checks but I can't find the log file you said about.

#14 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I got a black screen which went through different checks but I can't find the log file you said about.

No log, just saves damaged files/folders if found. It cleans things up so to speak.

How's the system running now?

Did you get the tool Hamluis noted and try it?

#15 RyanB162

RyanB162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Windows explorer is still crashing when I look at my files, and the link Hamluis gave me had 7 different programs, which ones the best to use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users