Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i send files from C drive to Data D drive.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Norant

Norant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hello all.

Just like a previous poster i am having problems because my C drive is nealy full,and i would like to send files and folders to my D drive to free up some space on there,i do not have any music stored on mu comp,neither do i have any photos,however of 32 GB of space i only have 3 GB left,any help i would apppreciate.

Acer Aspire 5315

C drive 32 GB With 3 GB left.

D drive 32 GB With 32 GB left.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

1) First, use a program such as treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) to see what is using the space

2) If they are data files, you can just move them manually. If you want to move the "My Documents" folder to D:, just right click on the folder and choose "MOVE" - and then complete the action. The system will then save all future documents to the new location.

3) More likely than not, System Restore is using a HUGE amount of space. You can either reduce the space allotted to System Restore or disable it completely and start using alternative backup measures (such as disc imaging, which is highly preferable to system restore anyway). NOTE: as soon as you disable System Restore, all restore points will be IMMEDIATELY deleted.

4) Additional steps to free up space:

• If Hibernation is enabled, disable it and reboot. This will free up a large chunk of space
  • Reduce space allotted to Temporary Internet Files folder
  • Empty the contents of your Temp folder(s)
  • Empty the Recycle Bin and reduce space allotted to the recycle bin(s)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users