Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Servers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndrewShipway

AndrewShipway

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hello

I'm not sure whether this should be posted to the Business Applications or the 'Other applications' forum as my question could fit into either. Please move to another forum if I have posted wrong :)

I am a university student (UK) currently studying a computing degree and I am my second year. As part of the second year I have been asked to produce a self study project and have agreed with my lecturer it will be based on building an e-mail server. My primary target is to get an e-mail to send from one client computer via the e-mail server to another client on another computer. I don't have much knowledge is this area and was looking for some good, reliable resources and materials to study and learn from.

My current understanding of the topic is limited to just the research I've been able to do from some google searches and reading through the websites that have come up in the results. One website that seemed to have the largest library of information was The TCP/IP Guide and in particular, the section on TCP/IP Electronic Mail System: Concepts and Protocols (RFC 822, MIME, SMTP, POP3, IMAP). This area covered the following protocols:

RFC 822
MIME
SMTP
POP3
IMAP

My real question is are there any other protocols I should be researching or am I looking too in depth considering my main task is to have a mail server capable of sending a simple text mail message from client a to client b? I have been unable to find any solid guides into actually researching recommended operating systems, software and hardware requirements.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience in this area then I would really appreciate any guidance you can give me with this topic as it is an area I would like to potentially begin a career in. I don't expect or want the answers simply to be filled in, but I would like some guidance as to where to look for the answers as I need to learn and be able to justify why I have chosen one operating system or piece of software over another and to also justify the hardware I have recommended for the server and clients.

Thanks for any help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users