Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lined background

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rdcdbd

rdcdbd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Compaq Presario CQ71
I did a Windows Update that installed the Service Pack (apparently quite some time after issue).
Since then, on startup I get an "installing" message for Intel series 293 drivers. This goes to completion (unless I hasten the process by stopping dnotify.exe as many times as necessary), the drivers cannot be found, and the "device" cannot be installed. None of this seemed to affect anything on the computer except the time required to start up.
The Intel driver check shows the chipset is valid; everything else is peculiar to HP.
The HP forum tried but could provide no solution. The Intel forum has not responded.
Today, without warning, during startup, the screen background became lined making it hard to read (capture on request).
I already had a thin blue vertical line which, if I understand correctly, is a material problem that cannot be corrected by software.
I am thinking of getting rid of this computer and never buying HP again.
Would anyone have a solution for getting rid of at least the lined background?
Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Please give more details:
1..'Windows Update installed the Service Pack'you wrote.Which Service Pack? W.7 SP 1? Did you try to restore the system to before the install took place? Did you just reinstall the OS ? İf so why? 2..İs this a OEM install? İf so can you restore to factory settings? 3..How old is the computer? 4..Did you have any problems with the pc from the beginning?

İf the pc is still in warranty in case this is hardware related,you can return it.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05236&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3873832

The above link may be helpful scroll down for 'Vertical lines in the display'

Edited by Julia G, 10 December 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#3 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Which Service Pack? W.7 SP 1?
SP1, no others are offered by Microsoft.
Did you try to restore the system?
No. I will go that way if I have to, but intuition tells me it will be a headache.
Did you just reinstall the OS ?
I am often in places where automatic updates will block me for hours because I do not have broad band. I ask to be notified before downloading. Well it doesn't work: apparently, with this computer, you either make it automatic or you get nothing. Time got by without me noticing and the update was huge.
How old is the computer?
2009, it seems. A short life!
Thanks for your interest in the problem.

#4 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

1..Yes i know only SP 1 is available,just thought to make sure your OS is W.7 and not Vista,as people some times post at the wrong forum.
2..From the answers that you have given me,i can not really say much,however CORRECTİON Please follow instructions on the following link to uninstall the SP1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/uninstall-sp1

3..Please read up first on what to do before the re-installation of the Service Pack. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

İ hope the link i provided re the vertical lines in the display have helped.

Edited by Julia G, 10 December 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#5 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

i would try system restore
OK, thanks, I'll give it a try when I feel up to it.
İ hope the link i provided re the vertical lines in the display have helped.
Not really. Firstly, it seems to be about separate monitors and this is a laptop. Secondly, their suggestions seem to deal with a few differently colored lines. Actually, it's not easy to see what they're talking about because it's all lined: my screen is now lined from top to bottom in equal lines horizontal lines in whatever the display color is. And that's what's bothering me, not the single very thin blue vertical one (which is harder to see now).
Thanks anyway for the suggestion, I'll see what happens with restore, but I'm not sure I have a usable image.

#6 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Please re-read my last post as a correction was made,you obviously missed.
Best to un-install and re-install as per instructions given in the links.

İf the issue with the lines is still present afterwards,please come back,and post a picture of it,and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck.

Edited by Julia G, 10 December 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#7 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

"a correction was made,you obviously missed."
Yes and no. Yes I didn't go and look to see how ostensibly simple it was. No I went through the installation and I knew what uninstalling would be.
It was late where I am, around 10:30 pm. I went to bed at 11:30 and the thing was still chugging along. When I got up in the morning and rebooted, there was another 40-minute wait. Now it's done and, hurrah, the screen is back to normal so the time was well employed. However, the endless search for INTEL ® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller 293X, to my surprise, still goes on and on at startup. Now I have been able to find some suggestions elsewhere, e.g. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/15ff094b-2992-4f99-96a7-947fc9ecdbce, but what surprises me is that all these people are third parties trying to make money out of the fact that HP, INTEL and Microsoft can't make there computers work properly and that you can't tell them anything, only go into some forum where there are no answers available. As they say: Anyway...
Thanks again for the help.

#8 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

To close this line: what has worked for me is to go into the control panel and shut off all the usb controllers; then download the entire chipset from HP. It's an exe file and when executed correctly reinstalls the controllers and turns them back on. Everything is now ok.
Thanks again for the help here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users