Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help! -- Problems connecting external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blahblah21

blahblah21

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

Really struggling with my external hard drive after a couple months of use. I connected it via USB to my laptop today, but (while it would physically connect), I couldn't access anything on the hard drive itself. Every program on my laptop would slow down (running windows 7), and the external HD would start clicking, unable to connect. Tried it on a different laptop (running windows XP) and same issue. I can't really get it to disconnect properly either (I shut down my laptop and then turned off and disconnected the device after my laptop had shut down).

This is the HD I have: http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Desktop-External-Drive-34823/dp/B0035J9TM8

I have no idea what I did? Only thing I can think of is I accidentally turned the device on this time before connecting it to the laptop. Otherwise, maybe I didn't 'safely eject' before physically removing it last time? I don't THINK that's the case, though, as I'm usually pretty good about it. I have almost a terabyte worth of files on there that I'd really rather not lose (most are just backups, but there's a few primary files on there as well; I know, I know, I should've backed up appropriately, but if I HAVE to lose them, I can suck it up and deal, I'd just obviously prefer not to).

Please help! :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blahblah21

blahblah21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

anyone?

i left it plugged into my laptop to try to connect overnight. when i checked in the morning, I got an error that said

"F:\ is not accessible.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users