Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Drag A Solid Window?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CPGagie

CPGagie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:31 AM

Hi, being a heavy duty point and clicker only, I'm pretty useless at techno jargon. I'll try my best to explain though.

Im using a dell inspiron 4150 laptop.
Windows XP home edition.
Version 2002.
Service pack 2.
Intel® Pentium®4.
Mobile CPU 1.70GHz.
1.69 GHz, 384 MB of RAM

I have recently used various spyware scanners. Adaware / Spy Bot search and destroy / registry fix. Also have ran AVG. They seem to have done the trick as my computer is running at normal speed again. My problem now is....

When I drag a window about I'm only dragging the outline of it. That is, the original window remains in place until I release the mouse button, at which point the window then jumps to the new location. How can I make it so that I drag a solid window (ie with all of its contents) again, rather than just the outline. I'm finding it to be a real pain as I'm so familiar to moving windows out of the way to have a quick look underneath, then droping them back there. I havent changed anything intentionally, and can only presume one of the scans I've ran has done this. I was having a problem with slowing down (to a crawl at times), and also it seemed to be double clicking aswell. These problems seem to have gone now though (I hope), apart from the window dragging thing.

I'm sort of hoping theres a check box or something to tick, but have looked around and cant find anything within settings etc. I've googled for hours and cant get anywhere that way either.

Any help much appreciated.
Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

Right click "My Computer" on the desktop and select "properties".
Click the "Advanced" tab then under "Performance" click the "settings" button.
On the "Visual Effects' tab make sure "show windows contents while dragging" is selected.

#3 CPGagie

CPGagie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Thanks ever so much, HitSquad. I'm always scared to mess around with anything that says advanced.

Thanks again, brilliant stuff :thumbsup:

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

No thanks needed but you're very welcome. Happy puting! :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

If you're a "point and clicker" you shouldn't be using registry editing programs.

Also, read the Spybot tutorial carefully before you use it to remove things. Unless you know what you are doing you can cause serious damage.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

If you're "so familiar to moving windows out of the way to have a quick look underneath, then droping them back there", there's a little program that will allow you to fade the window that is on top, so you can see the window underneath, among other things.
You just put your cursor in the top, right corner of the active window (the one on top), and it fades it, so you can see the window immediately under it.
Iconoid

I also second Enthusiast's advice.
Unless you are a very experienced user, stay away from registry cleaner's.
If you aren't absolutely, positively, sure about what you are doing in the registry, STAY OUT!!!
The relatively minor benefits to cleaning up your registry, are far outweighed, by the potential damage you can do your computer.
"Fixing" something in the registry, that shouldn't be "fixed", is the quickest way there is, to turn your computer into a doorstop.

If you do insist on using a registry cleaner, by all means, backup the Registry first.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users