Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Mail Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hey Guys.
I've noticed that when I'm using Windows 8 Mail with my Comcast e-mail, it deletes the messages on the server automatically. Is there any way to stop this? I use my iPhone 5 to fetch for new messages when I'm away from my computer and since I have been using Windows 8 Mail, it is unable to do so. If you need any screenshots, I'll provide them as requested.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Eric R. Bennett
(ebthepcguy)

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

I don't know anything about Windows 8. Since I cannot visualize what you are talking about when you say Windows 8 mail I have no clue if what you are using is an email client or webpage to access your Comcast mail.

I do know that email clients have a setting which can be enabled to leave a copy of messages on the server. Maybe you could check for that setting.

The native mail client in Windows 8 does not support POP accounts. So my question is just how are you accessing your Comcast mail on Windows 8?

Earlier in the year Comcast began a beta trial of IMAP, which is still going on. I have participated in the trial since the beginning. A couple of days ago they opened it up to other customers because of the Windows 8 Mail issue.

IMAP may work for you because it does not remove the messages from the server. Because they stay on the server until you manually delete them from your client, the web interface or the Xfinity Connect app (or m.comcast.net) they will be available on all your devices. Another advantage of IMAP is that if you have created folders for mail you will have access to those folders on any computer and mobile device you use.

More info is here, including how to sign up for it if you are interested.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Xfinity-Email-and-Windows-8/td-p/1494113

If you have any questions about Comcast mail you can post them in the Comcast Forum in the Email category.

My canned speech about Comcast forums

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

Do NOT opt out of forum emails using the link in the notification email.
Doing it that way will actually DELETE your forum account. Deletion of the account bans you. (stupid but that is the way Lithium, the forum provider, has it set up).

To get back to the forum you can either bookmark the page OR go to the Comcast homepage, scroll down to Customer Support on the left side of the page and click Browse the Forums.

If you have any questions about the forum you can ask me here or there. My user name there is also Queen-Evie.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 December 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Unfortunately with the Windows 8 Mail app, it automatically syncs changes you make directly with your IMAP account.

Your only option is to use a different app that has more features or a desktop app like Windows Live Mail.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Comcast is finally getting smart and working on getting IMAP.

I've been involved in the beta trial and have had no issues with it.

IMAP is a better way to manage email than pop. And since IMAP has been opened up to the public it could be the ideal solution if one doesn't mind that it is still beta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users