Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Downgrade/Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shanon0403

Shanon0403

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

I bought a Gateway DX4380G-UW308. I am a student in Graphic Design. After purchasing from Wal-Mart my school informed me I can not use Windows 8. So I asked my boyfriend and he said to put Windows 7 on a separate partition, or put my old HD from my computer in and boot from it. I bought Win 7 and the Bios will not let me boot from CD, also will not let me boot from my other HD. I called Gateway and they said to contact a local technician to reset my binaries which would void my warranty, and to top it off Wal Mart will not accept return... what are they talking about and is their an easier solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,674 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Before you kill yourself adding Windows 7, what is the reason you cant Windows 7? What apps are you using? They should run fine on your Windows 8 machine.

#3 zombie76

zombie76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi! I am in the same situation. I have an HP Pavilion with Windows 8, but I need to run Windows 7 in order to run all the applications that we have. Peachtree is one of it and at this time they do not support it on an Windows 8 environment. Somebody recommends me to install Microsot Virtual PC 2007 and then install Windows 8 on that Virtual PC. I beleive it is more likely to have a dual boot. I will try either option, if it works.

#4 Shanon0403

Shanon0403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Before you kill yourself adding Windows 7, what is the reason you cant Windows 7? What apps are you using? They should run fine on your Windows 8 machine.

For one reason or another, Westwood College online courses (at least the Graphic Design) do not allow Windows 8 OS. Here is a screenshot of the test it runs ehwn I click "Can you run it" although I only get a caution on this test, my advisor says it is not compatible for the online environment. However I am under the impression I can pay yet more money 99.00 and have my binaries unlocked (whatever that means), but the man I spoke to at Microsoft, with the funny accent basically told me that if I used it for "third party" he would be sure to direct me to the authorities!.. I don't know what he is talking about..but he sounded vedddy seddious lol. never mind the screenshot, says I am not allowed to upload this kind of document.. I gotta get my computer skills UPgraded! Wait I can do it in paint.. seems like a lot of trouble.. too bad I can not take this back. My nieces laptop almost passed this test... only needed 1 more G of memory.

Attached Files

#5 Shanon0403

Shanon0403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

For one reason or another, Westwood College online courses (at least the Graphic Design) do not allow Windows 8 OS. Here is a screenshot of the test it runs ehwn I click "Can you run it" although I only get a caution on this test, my advisor says it is not compatible for the online environment. However I am under the impression I can pay yet more money 99.00 and have my binaries unlocked (whatever that means), but the man I spoke to at Microsoft, with the funny accent basically told me that if I used it for "third party" he would be sure to direct me to the authorities!.. I don't know what he is talking about..but he sounded vedddy seddious lol. never mind the screenshot, says I am not allowed to upload this kind of document.. I gotta get my computer skills UPgraded! Wait I can do it in paint.. seems like a lot of trouble.. too bad I can not take this back. My nieces laptop almost passed this test... only needed 1 more G of memory.

and it is Photoshop CS6, Office 2010, and Their online mumbo jumbo for lectures and things (I believe "mumbo jumbo" is the industry term) ;)

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,674 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

These programs will probably work fine on Windows 8 if you want to try that first. I know of very very few compatibility issues, if any, between running programs that work fine on windows 7 on Windows 8.

As for Windows 7, you should be able to go into the bios of your gateway and configure your boot order to have the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. It should then boot off of the Windows 7 drive. Typically when setting up a dual boot, though, you would have the oldest version installed already and then install WIndows 8 so that it controls the boot process. I would definitely advise this for Windows 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users