Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Frequent Freezes-Crashes With Occasional Memory Usage Error Message But RAM Tests OK

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hello and thank you in advance for any help; I really appreciate it. My HP Pavilion dv4-2040us (2.20 GHz AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M500; 4096MB DDR2 SDRAM; ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics; AMD M880G chipset) running Windows 7 Home Premium recently began freezing-crashing on a regular basis, a couple of times in the beginning with an error message to the effect that I'd run out of memory and needed to close some applications-processes, but more recently simply freezing and-or crashing.

Given that I've not installed any new programs lately, Windows is up to date, an avast! Free Antivirus scan found no problems, and my usage pattern hasn't changed, I thought that it might be my RAM. So, I removed the RAM, cleaned the connection areas with an eraser, then tested each stick individually with Memtest86+. Both sticks passed with zero errors. After the cleaning and testing I reinserted the RAM (making certain that it was properly seated) and things were good for a couple of days.

Then the freezing-crashing began anew and eventually led to the Cap Lock-num lk LED lights flashing a four-blink code, indicating a supposed graphics controller problem. I re-cleaned the RAM and placed the sticks in an anti-static bag, then (with the battery already removed) held down the power button for thirty seconds to release any built up charge. Upon reinserting the RAM and rebooting the LED lights were no longer flashing and everything seemed fine. For about a day, then the freezing-crashing started again.

As I typed above, my usage hasn't change, but I've noticed that if I'm not engaged in any extreme multitasking the freezing-crashing doesn't occur; it's when I do engage in extreme multitasking (but not extreme relative to my typical usage and not every time) that the freezing-crashing occurs. It's almost as if there's some kind of communication breakdown (ooh whoa-oa! :guitar: ) between various pieces of hardware such that the RAM isn't being efficiently utilized. My knowledge of hardware is limited, so I was hoping that someone more knowledgable than I might point me in the right direction. Thanks again for your time.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 08 December 2012 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Just in case someone bumps into my original post via searching for a solution to a similar problem (and to close my OP), after doing the above I also ran FurMark to test the graphics controller. FurMark ran fine 4 out of 5 times so I reckoned that is wasn't an issue with the video card. At that point I took my laptop to a repair shop and they determined that it was a faulty motherboard. It's now been repaired and I'm typing this, 5 days and S$180 later.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for letting us know, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users