Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Monitor Warm Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

With the help of many of the wonderful folks on Bleeping Computer I now enjoy a smokin fast computer.........that is after the darn monitor finally warms up. At times I can sit for what seems a solid 15 minutes waiting for my monitor screen to warm up and my desk top to finally appear.

I have a 19" IBM P200 monitor. I know the thing must be a dinosaur. It's a monster in size measuring 20" in depth from front to back. It has a date of 1990 on the spec plate.

I'm wondering is it possible that a monitor will become slower in its warm up speed simply due to age. Or, like the computers memory, is there a way to speed up the warm up time for the monitor as well?

Harkcomp :deadhorse:

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2012 - 08:59 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm wondering is it possible that a monitor will become slower in its warm up speed simply due to age.

Yes

Or, like the computers memory, is there a way to speed up the warm up time for the monitor as well?

Not really.

You have a tube type monitor. The warm up is taking longer or the emitting surface is getting worn out or both. Slight chance that whatever source feed the filament is out of spec. or that something is wrong with the high voltage circuit.

That slow warmup usually indicates that the tube is near the end of its life.
In the old tube type TV days we would have have hung a booster on the tube that basically stepped up the voltage to make it work better. That shortened the life but since the tube was worn out anyway, what the heck.

In Your case Budget / be prepared for a replacement monitor in the future.

I highly recommend you do not open the monitor. The high voltage can linger on and knock you across the room or worse.

Sorry to give you bad news.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm wondering is it possible that a monitor will become slower in its warm up speed simply due to age.

Yes

Or, like the computers memory, is there a way to speed up the warm up time for the monitor as well?

Not really.

You have a tube type monitor. The warm up is taking longer or the emitting surface is getting worn out or both. Slight chance that whatever source feed the filament is out of spec. or that something is wrong with the high voltage circuit.

That slow warmup usually indicates that the tube is near the end of its life.
In the old tube type TV days we would have have hung a booster on the tube that basically stepped up the voltage to make it work better. That shortened the life but since the tube was worn out anyway, what the heck.

In Your case Budget / be prepared for a replacement monitor in the future.

I highly recommend you do not open the monitor. The high voltage can linger on and knock you across the room or worse.

Sorry to give you bad news.

Roger

Thanks for your reply Roger!
I already have a much newer monitor but it only has a 16" screen. This 19" was given to me for free but I see I'm going to have to go back to the 16" and use it until it quits.
Thanks again!
Harkcomp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users