Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jedidew

Jedidew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ok, so here goes nothing.
(edit: sorry for the typo in the title description)

Computer:
ASUS UL80Jt laptop

Windows 7 x64

Processor:
Intel i3

Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce 310M
Intel® HD Graphics

Attached File  System.PNG   33KB   1 downloads
Attached File  Cards.PNG   39.43KB   1 downloads
Attached File  cards2.PNG   3.04KB   1 downloads

I'll go ahead and type about everything I know. Can't hurt to have too much information.

Problem:
Starting somewhere between yesterday and today, my laptop (which normally runs video games such as guild wars 2 and minecraft at a very comfortable fps rate), will now only run games at 4 or less fps that it often ran 30-40 fps. Internet browsers work fine, videos and such have also been running with no known issues.

So some information I know in regards to the issue (i think)..

A little more than a week ago, I put windows 7 ultimate on this laptop (and updated every single driver with NO issues), because it had been having the BSOD problem for a while (memory management error). I didn't have genuine, and I thought, "Hell, I'll just put geniune on here. Can't hurt to try.". So for the past week, everything has been pro, and everything worked fine. Until this morning or so, as I mentioned earlier, my games started running unbelievably slow. First thing I did was went to my device manager, and checked to see that the graphics cards at least appeared to be working correctly. I then checked to see if they needed updated. I installed updates for both my NVIDIA and the Intel adapters, and was prompted to restart the laptop as usual. It turned off, started to come back on, and then died. Total black screen, didn't even get past the words "starting windows". Using Windows startup repair, I restored the computer to its last working date. So then I thought to try one at a time, to see which one wasn't wanting to work. By itself, the Intel graphics updated and the computer restarted just fine. Then when I tried to update the NVIDIA card, and it wouldn't boot. Had to do another restore...

So in summary, my graphics are slow and one of my graphics card drivers refuses to update.

I think that the GeForce isn't working anymore, if at all. But the Intel, the one that DID update, still works. It isn't the better of the two, so games don't work right but the fact that I am able to see what I am typing has to mean something ;P My knowledge on computers is limited, and my knowledge of laptops even moreso.. though I am studying and earning college credits on the subject while in high school. ANY help or information would be nice, and if anyone knows if it is possible to replace the card in this particular model, please speak up.

P.S... the thing won't work unless its plugged in. I've had it for a few years, so the battery might have crapped out. Dunno if that would have anything to do with it.. doubt it though.

also, the wifi drops out a lot, and its not the router. I do know quite a fair amount about networking. Basically, this model of laptop sucks. ASUS makes great motherboards and such, but their take on computers aren't often too great. I had an Asus PC a year or two ago and it had plenty issues as well. Won't be buying another one of their computers again any time soon.

Edited by Jedidew, 08 December 2012 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Did you use the installation CD, the drivers that were on that CD, after installing Windows 7? or did you just downloaded the drivers?
Try using older/previous version of nvidia drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users