Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation works randomly, WHEA Logger Event 18 when hibernation fails.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AHG

AHG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've had this problem for a long time. When I put my computer in hibernation, sometimes when I wake it, it hangs at the user select screen, or it just shows a black screen. Sometimes I can reset the computer after it has hanged, and try again resuming from hibernation, and many times it will work after a couple of tries. Other times after resetting I won't get the prompt to try again with resuming (the other option is to delete hibernation data and reboot the system) but I will get the usual screen that says that Windows was not shut down correctly (with all the options for safe mode, etc). If I cannot resume and I get the screen with safe mode and all the other crap, I finally log in I get a notice that there was a critical error, in the details I see BlueScreen and other data, but I actually never get a blue screen. In the dump folder, there are no dmp files related to the hibernation hanging.

Anyway, when it happens, I see several Event 18 WHEA-Logger in the event viewer, about 6 of them every time.

What's weird though, is that I literally have NO problems with this computer other than this. The only times it hangs is when I resume it from hibernation. I can play games or run stress tests with or without overclock and the system is 100% stable. But there is some problem that prevents it from resuming from hibernation correctly, so every time I use it is basically a gamble because it has like 50% chance of working.

PLEASE, help me fix this problem. I tried EVERY SINGLE solution I found with google related to hibernation problems, and it's still there. I even formatted and reinstalled Windows from scratch, and it's still there. I'm positive I updated every single driver for every hardware I have and nope, no solution.

I know the WHEA error is related to the hardware but like I said, everything works PERFECTLY once the system starts up properly, or when it resumes from hibernation properly.

I am desperate. I'm even willing to give you remote access to my computer if you need. I AM DESPERATE.

Current System specs and installed hardware:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (I do not remember if this problem happened when I had Vista)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550
Asus Rampage Formula (Motherboard)
4Gb DDR2 OCZ
Gigabyte GTX560Ti 448
Western Digital Caviar Black 500Gb as system drive
CoolerMaster Realpower 600W PSU
Hauppauge WinTV HVR1300 capture card
A Philips IDE DVD burner
Some USB stuff

Over the last 3 years I've had this problem, I replaced the following hardware, but the problem has always been there

4Gb DDR2 generic OEM
Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb

Edited by AHG, 08 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AHG

AHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Nobody knows anything about this problem? Any way to troubleshoot it?

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

AHG,

You have probably seen this already: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3567.event-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-logger.aspx. It appears that you have performed most of the troubleshooting steps already.

Again, you may have already tried this: increasing the hibernation file to 100% of RAM.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 AHG

AHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yes, I tried all of that already. What could be causing it?

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Have you tried Hybrid Sleep rather than Hibernate?

Regards,
Brooks

#6 AHG

AHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes but I can't rely on it because if I unplug the computer it then takes ages to resume, and it hangs sometimes anyway.

It's hopeless.

#7 AHG

AHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Oh my god. I upgraded to Windows 8 and it still happens sometimes. And again, the system is 100% stable for everything else.

I'm getting desperate. If someone manages to help me fix this I will be thankful for ever. I don't want to buy a new computer, this one is fine other than this extremely annoying problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users