Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem returning to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ridger

Ridger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi All, I have read a bit here over the years, just want a bit of advice with a current issue.

I have an Fujitsu Siemans Amilo 2727 laptop, which I'm giving to a friend. It was one of the laptops that had serious overheating issues back in the day, some BIOS updates improved things, but it needed a fresh start. I have taken all the things off it that I need and was looking to reset to factory settings.

I made discs for back up when I first got the laptop, but locating them has proved highly problematic and I've all but given up on finding them. However the laptop also had a recovery section partitioned on the hard drive, so I managed to locate the option to 'restore to factory settings'.

Unfortunately for me, while it was going through the process of starting for the first time, the laptop crashed. Now when it loads, I get a warning box telling me to restart and try again or a blue screen with a fairly ominous warning. I can still access all the same menus on loading, but the 'repair computer' option, which I am 99.99% sure was in the advanced boot options, is no longer there.

I have tried to boot from last successful boot, safe mode and every option as far as I can think of. Is there any other way of restoring factory settings?

I still have the serial number, so I'd guess my options are limited to getting a vista disc or finding the recovery discs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Try the recovery again by looking at the bios screen (black screen /w/ all the data) as it's just starting up, for a line that says "for recovery press F?" (mine's F11) & in the lower LH corner. It should only give you a few seconds so you gotta be quick or you have to start it again. Also mine gives 2 options when it gets to the recovery screen - "non destructive" (tries to save personal data & just replace OS) which never worked AND "destructive" (all data will be lost)

#3 Ridger

Ridger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Try the recovery again by looking at the bios screen (black screen /w/ all the data) as it's just starting up, for a line that says "for recovery press F?" (mine's F11) & in the lower LH corner. It should only give you a few seconds so you gotta be quick or you have to start it again. Also mine gives 2 options when it gets to the recovery screen - "non destructive" (tries to save personal data & just replace OS) which never worked AND "destructive" (all data will be lost)

Hi Dolby

Thanks for the reply, Fujitsu Siemans have tinkered with the OS, they have made quite large changes to how the recovery, restoring factory settings and the like are handled.

I get their image and 3 options listed, same as this starting screen,several of the other buttons take me to the Windows boot manager, where by pressing f8 gets me to the the advanced boot options. I have tried each f* button, but without success.

Because I have a partition with some sort of recovery, do you know if that is likely to hamper/help the process. If I use a generic disc, will that create any issues and would this allow me to restore to factory settings using the info stored on the partition?

I suspect there is some sort of function + key or other combination that shortcuts to restore to factory settings as somewhat of a fail-safe. But it doesn't appear to be common knowledge or easily found.

I've already retrieved all the data, so not worried about any losses, just need it to get it to a functional state.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

FWIW: http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36079

Louis

#5 Ridger

Ridger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Louis, I had a read of that before I signed up.

My issue is that I no longer have the repair computer option, which leads to restore factory settings. Combine that with having lost the recovery disks, my options appear very limited, but I'm not entirely sure what they are.

I had hoped that with the partition, I might be able to use a recovery option from a vista disk. My main laptop doesn't have a cd drive, which complicates matters further.

#6 Ridger

Ridger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi,

I need to get this sorted soon if possible, does anyone know if I will be able to restore factory settings using a vista disk?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

The restore-to-factory-settings mechanism...is determined by the system manufacturer. It works as the manufacturer intends for it to work.

Your best source of info for that, IMO...see http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/index.php?sid=05ba236fea236b0955bd111507ed014f .

Louis

#8 Ridger

Ridger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

The restore-to-factory-settings mechanism...is determined by the system manufacturer. It works as the manufacturer intends for it to work.

Your best source of info for that, IMO...see http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/index.php?sid=05ba236fea236b0955bd111507ed014f .

Louis

I tried that forum a few years back when it had overheating issues. I made a couple of the 97 unanswered posts and the last post was nearly a year ago in the section for my laptop.

I'm trying a disk from dell , so will see how that goes.

#9 Ridger

Ridger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

It's a XP disk, so I think I'll hold fire on that. From my understanding, my OS is dead and of no use, but I suspect the partition to recover is still intact. As I stated I just want to get it operating, so no worry about loss of data. The reason I am thinking of saving the partition, would be the make the reinstall far easier.

So I think I could install a different OS, with some leg work to guard the partition on installation, then reinstall that way. Or the much easier route, would be the get the specific recovery disks and try partition or fresh install anyway.

Or could I use a generic disk and find a way to install the correct drivers and bits for the specific laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users