Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which WiFi Security, Need Compatability, Not Necessary Best Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 safeskies

safeskies

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

At work we have a wireless router set up for the employees that is not connected to any actual work related network. This is for personal use only. We're using a Cisco M10 router. Two computers are plugged in via ethernet cables and never have problems with the internet. However, laptops and such have had chronic problems connecting. It will often work, but then randomly it will say "no internet access". During these periods the hard wired computers work fine. Recently this happened to my laptop. To fix it I removed the wifi profile and made a new one. To my surprise this fixed it. I think there is something that maybe degrades with the encryption. There are probably 30-50 users (not on all at once by any means) that use a all sorts of wifi adapters to connect (i.e. cell phones, laptops, kindles, etc.). We are using WPA/WPA2 Mixed-Mode currently. Could this be the problem? It has happened while using a D-Link as well.

My question is, what setting provides some security while compatible with the most devices. We aren't terribly concerned with security except as a most basic deterrent. The N radio is not necessary for speed, but there are a lot of rooms this covers so having the range advantage would be nice (I read somewhere that N radio can only use WPA?). Will using the less secure WEP allow the easiest access? Will WEP prevent N radio adapters from utilizing the extra range the N radio provides? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

The WEP and WPA/WPA2 are for security encryption in which the latter is better and known to be the current standard while WEP is considered to be outdated. Wireless b/g/n is a router setting which you could alter separately but anyway, because the N signal range which has the fastest data transfer and widest coverage among the 3, are also backward compatible to devices using the b/g standards. If it happens more frequently on different devices, then it must be the router access point is not up to multiple, simultaneous connections or overloading.

Tekken

#3 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

It turns out that somebody tried installing an Asus access point that is designed to repeat the wifi signal. I deactivated this 8 months ago as I believed it was not working well with our Cisco router. When you analyze the networks with the Asus device on, you see two networks with the same SSID on the same channel but with different mac addresses. I supposed changing the channels would help, but this setup has always proved problematic. It will work for some time, and then random devices can no longer get an internet connection. I removed this and it looks like it is working okay for now.

Is using a repeater that is not hard wired in often problematic, or am I most likely not setting it up properly? Thanks!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

If the Wireless Bridge is configured Correctly (Different SSID,) The Asus depending on the Model Does the setup for you, however There is a specific procedure depending on the router firmware.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users