Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing/BSOD crash Issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AgentBonkers

AgentBonkers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Ahoy all,

New to the forum - one of the no doubt many a folk who pops on over in desperation when they encounter some sudden problem and finds themselves at a loss.

Anyway, I have me an HP Pavilion laptop purchased in June 2011 - still under a 2 year warranty, but would prefer to resolve this myself if at all possible.

In the last few days I've started experiencing some BSOD issues, which got particularly acute late night...constant BSODing as well as just system freeze ups. I ran Avast antivirus scan, as well as a MalwareBytes scan and the Housecall scan. I used CCleaner, downloaded what windows updates my computer said were available...none of which help the issue. Was going to try to defrag but it crashed again. On a netbook right now.

this is the BSOD error I get:

---
kernal_data_inpage_error

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0x0000000000000020, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0xFFFFFA8006E0F078, 0x0000000000000000)

Physical memory dumpy FAILED with status 0xC000009C
---

I have no idea what that means - not super troubleshooting saavy beyond the basics. Any assistance in fixing this issue would be much appreciated :]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 AgentBonkers

AgentBonkers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

I followed your direction but nothing shows up on it when I run the utility. I wonder if this is related to the 'physical memory dump FAILED' part of my BSOD message?

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I used CCleaner, downloaded what windows updates my computer said were available...none of which help the issue.

Open CCleaner and Uncheck Minidumps (checked by default). You no doubt deleted these files. Run BlueScreenView if the computer Blue Screens again.

In addition: Please ensure that your computer is set to Create Windows Mini-Dump files.
  • If it's set for "Kernel Memory Dump" try changing to "Small Memory Dump (256 KB)."

Regards,
Brooks

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

kernal_data_inpage_error

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0x0000000000000020, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0xFFFFFA8006E0F078, 0x0000000000000000)

Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC000009C

A crash dump is not being saved to the hard drive at the time of the crash ... because the hard drive cannot be found!

STOP: 0x0000007A (, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, , )

• 0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.
Reference: STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

This would normally be my recommendation: "Firstly, check all your connections/connecting cables to ensure that all is fully and firmly in place. I suggest you un-plug and then re-plug all cables connecting the hard drive and power supply to the hard drive(s)."
  • Being a laptop in your case, all you are able to do is to unplug and then re-connect the hard drive.
:exclame: HOWEVER .... can you do this without voiding your 2 year warranty ???

I suggest that you seek a repair under warranty. It is quite possible (even likely?) that the hard drive (or some other component) is failing.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 December 2012 - 04:51 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 AgentBonkers

AgentBonkers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I used CCleaner, downloaded what windows updates my computer said were available...none of which help the issue.

Open CCleaner and Uncheck Minidumps (checked by default). You no doubt deleted these files. Run BlueScreenView if the computer Blue Screens again.

In addition: Please ensure that your computer is set to Create Windows Mini-Dump files.
  • If it's set for "Kernel Memory Dump" try changing to "Small Memory Dump (256 KB)."

So I did both of these things, and the following crash had same results, with the utility still not finding any crash info...

#7 AgentBonkers

AgentBonkers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

kernal_data_inpage_error

Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC000009C

A crash dump is not being saved to the hard drive at the time of the crash ... because the hard drive cannot be found!

STOP: 0x0000007A (, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, , )

• 0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.
Reference: STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

This would normally be my recommendation: "Firstly, check all your connections/connecting cables to ensure that all is fully and firmly in place. I suggest you un-plug and then re-plug all cables connecting the hard drive and power supply to the hard drive(s)."
  • Being a laptop in your case, all you are able to do is to unplug and then re-connect the hard drive.
:exclame: HOWEVER .... can you do this without voiding your 2 year warranty ???

I suggest that you seek a repair under warranty. It is quite possible (even likely?) that the hard drive (or some other component) is failing.

thank you for clarifying some of that 'computer speak' for me!

my particular make of laptop is constructed so that the panel covering all the main internal components, including HD, can be removed without even need for a screwdriver, so I am pretty sure I can at least visually check on the cables without any issues. If that doesn't help any, I guess I shall (try to see if I can back up to my external without crashes, if not my most recent backup isn't too old...) and call warranty people ASAP.

Edited by AgentBonkers, 09 December 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

my particular make of laptop is constructed so that the panel covering all the main internal components, including HD, can be removed without even need for a screwdriver, so I am pretty sure I can at least visually check on the cables without any issues.

That's handy. I expect you will then be able to disconnect and reconnect the hard drive to ensure that the connection is fully and firmly in-place and fresh. Then test to see if the problem persists.

I don't expect that will change anything: The connection on a laptop of only 18 months is unlikely to be "flakey" ?

The issue is intermittent it seems: The connection between the system and the hard drive appears to "drop out" only sometimes ... and when it does of course, the system crashes immediately.

If you were interested in following up on the issue ... to learn more about it, perhaps you might wish to try the following, and you may also then be able to retrieve copies of files that you don't currently have backed up elsewhere if you cannot do it using Windows.

On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, you will see listed the partitions of the hard drive (sda1, sda2 etc).
  • Locate the partition from which you wish to copy files.
  • Copy your files to another device (flashdrive, internal or external hard drive).
    Let me know of any problem you encounter and the detail of any error messages that you see.
[/list]At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 December 2012 - 09:20 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users