Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly disconnects from Apple Airport Express after some time

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ezatnova

ezatnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have an issue with using my Apple Airport Express that is driving me nuts.

I use my Airport Express in Client mode, to wirelessly play music to my receiver. I don't use it to extend the network or any of those other uses.

For two years, everything worked fine between my Windows PC and my Apple Airport Express. My computer could play songs to my Airport Express wirelessly through iTunes on my computer. Four months ago, the computer stopped "seeing" the Airport Express. All the meanwhile, my spare laptop (which I was just using for testing of this issue, as it's too old and slow for my music use) can operate just fine with the Airport express.

I picked up a new PC to replace the aging one, and figured it would also fix my music issues as well. Well, it only fixed it in a very temporary and frustrating way. Now, when the PC loads up, it sees the Airport Express for some time, and I can play music across the network with it all just like I should be able to. Then, anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours later, it stops working. The Airport Express option on iTunes goes grayed out and the Airport Utility program can no longer find the Airport Express. But, if I reset the computer, it all works perfectly again, until it randomly fails whenever it feels like it. It never continues to work for more than a few hours.

Through all this, if I load up my old laptop, it sees the Aiport Express just fine. So, to me, it's not like the Aiport Express is "going down".

My old PC and this new one both have Norton, but I've tried disabling everything as well as Windows firewall, and I don't see a difference.

Another fact leading me to believe the Airport Express is fine is that my iPhone has apps like Pandora and Songza that can play music either through the iPhone itself, or, send it to the Airport Express. I am ALWAYS able to select the Aiport Express. It is never "down" or not selectable.

New PC is Windows 8 with Norton installed. Network is through FiOS and their Actiontec router.

Let me know if you need any other info or testing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

*** EDIT *** I've found something else that is REALLY weird. When I have the PC running on wireless internet, all of the above is what happens. However, if I plug in my CAT5 cable and run wired internet, the Airport Express is NEVER usable. Even when the PC first boots up, the Airport is grayed out in iTunes. WHY would it matter if the computer is using wireless vs wired internet??! Is that a clue to the overall problem at all?

Edited by ezatnova, 08 December 2012 - 11:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users