Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kidzmum

kidzmum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

Okay, I really couldn't find a spot for this question so I hope it gets seen here by someone who can answer this question.

Is there any way to back up my entire system.....files, software, downloads, programs....to CD or some external device other than another hard drive?

I've seen alot of the products out there, but they all include Restore capabilities on my hard drive which I already have. I have, however, experienced problems in which I was not able to even start my computer and restore on the hard drive did not work, so I would like some way to save my info, all of it, externally.

I got Norton Ghost, but it just seemed to be another way to restore from my hard drive which I already have. I have Sonic Digital Media with the capability of burning to either CD or DVD disks. Can any of this help me?

I use my computer at home for business, self employed more or less. Would it be a good idea to save my info to some outside location. I've also seen this offered.

What's easiest, quickest, and cheapest, but will save "everything" so I can just restore from CD or some other external location other than a separate hard drive.

Also, I have a laptop. Can I just use the files/settings transfer wizard to send everything to that with our router? Would I just need to reinstall the programs then or would I still have to reinstall all the drivers and the rest of the crap. What all do I need? How can I basically "copy" my computer to an external location for restore capabilities that will get me back and running?

Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:27 AM

After having lost a hard drive and having to reinstall and download all the programs twice after that, I now keep all of the information on DVDs, 4.7GB is the limit at the moment, but Blueray is due out this spring which will up the ante to 8.5GB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:07 AM

Not tried personally, but highly recommended :http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/reviews.aspx

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

If you want to backup gigs and gigs of your entire system CDs and DVDs are really not an efficient way to do it.

The software is not the problem as Microsoft provides its own backup utility, Ghost is good (for an image), so is Norton Go Back, and so is the Dantz Retrospect utility.

The problem exists as to what media you want to use.
There are tape backups used and also external (or even internal slave drives), and these remain the most cost effective and most efficient way to backup.

With MS and Dantz you can do "incremental" backups that just backups what has changed (what data has been added since the last backup).

External hads have become cheap as late - just look at the ads - and you should be able to get an 80gig External drive combo that comes with backup software for less then $100. I did.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 March 2006 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users