Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New modem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

I'm getting a new desktop PC this week which will have Windows 7 as opposed to my current PC which has Windows XP. So do I need to call my cable company and have them install a new modem? It's a Motorola Surfboard and I have had it since I moved here in 2005. Is it compatible with Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

You will not have to get a new modem. The only thing you will need to do is make all your connections and you should be good to go.

If you can't access the internet after making your connections power cycle the modem.

#3 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

OK figured it was better to ask now than later. I just paid for the PC and can't wait to get it.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Since you have had the modem since 2007 you might want to check with your ISP to see if it is still supported. Modems do eventually get to end-of-life.

#5 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I got my new computer yesterday. It turns out the modem is fine but it needed a new ethernet cable. A Rogers service guy brought it today and I'm back in business.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for letting us know you're back in business. Enjoy the new computer. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users