Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardrive cannot accessed...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yathrakaaran

yathrakaaran

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi Everyone..I am new here. My computer( A Dell Dimension C521) died while I was working on it. Bunch colors came on screen and just went off. Later I was told the motherboard is fried. I took the hard drive out and connected to an adapter then to a laptop. Now I see the drive and it says 65gb free of 280gb but when I click on the drive it says "you do not have permission to access the drive'. I tried changing my 'administrator privileges' but it is not letting me do it. I cannot copy and paste the drive to the laptop's desktop or to a folder. Does this mean my hard drive is failed? :o Can anyone give some directions towards accessing my drive? Thank you for your help... Raj.

P.S.,- Hard drive is a Western Digital Internal drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Did you try taking ownership of it?

Louis

#3 yathrakaaran

yathrakaaran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Did you try taking ownership of it?

Louis

Louis... I did. But it does not respond. It just shows me the hour glass for so long... thank you for replying. Are there any software that I could try or anything you recommend?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

:whistle: , I've made my one allowed wild guess on this topic :), hang on for inputs by others here.

Louis

#5 yathrakaaran

yathrakaaran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

:whistle: , I've made my one allowed wild guess on this topic :), hang on for inputs by others here.

Louis

Louis.... thank you...your guess worked..I was doing it wrong... I am not sure how I got it wrong at first..but I managed to do that! :blink: But now I am good...I got access to the drive by following this tutorial.... just posting this for anyone to follow in the future...Taking ownership of an entire drive

Thanks again Louis... :thumbup2:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work by you...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users