Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NvCpl startup Item. Is this Malware/Trojan?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Master Spade

Master Spade

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

My PC starts up SSLLOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLYYYY. So I've tried the things I've read to solve the Problem. I run the Anti Virus, Norton, to check that. It also does the Disk Optimization and things like that.

I then checked the startup Items. BOY, were there ALOT of things in there! When I first removed alot of the starup items, the start up time went from about 10 Minutes!...to about 2. But that only happened once. Now, with only 8 things in the start up, it takes about 6-7 minutes. So I've checked those last 8 items, of which I eliminated all but 3. One of those I need help on, is: NvCpl. I checked this site for that, and it came up with 20 items. All but 4 of those are Viruses/Malware/Trohans! But none of them match the file on my PC exactly. The file in my PC:

NvCpl

Command: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

This is the link where it shows the potential files:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/searchpage-NvCpl-filename-0.html

Is this something bad? If so, how to remove?

If it is a good file, is it ok to remove from Start up?

I'm running Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

CPU is 2.8 GHz, 2.0 GB of RAM

Thanks.

Edited by Master Spade, 07 December 2012 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

This is an entry added by Nvidia for the "Nvidia Control Panel" when you install drivers for a Nvidia video card. It's not malicious, but it's also not particularly useful (how often do you change your video card settings?) Removing or disabling this startup will not have a negative impact on your system as the Nvidia Control Panel is also accessible through the Windows Control Panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users