Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHK" in Win7

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rebellman

rebellman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have a problem similar to another post from January of this year, but it's not close enough for the solution to work for me. In my case I was running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Win7) and decided to get Windows 8 Pro (Win8) while it was cheap enough to discard if I didn't like it. I created a partition ahead of my Win7 partition and installed Win8 and when I rebooted the machine Win8 started fine, but upon restarting from Win8 I couldn't get Win7 to boot, but only the message "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHK" and then a restart. I can get back into Win8 at the menu, but attempting to go to Win7 brings me to the screen when Windows fails to start properly, which gives me 2 options "Start Windows Repair (Recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally." Upon running repair I am told that Windows was repaired and would finish repairs upon restart, however upon restart I again get the "autochk program not found" message." Another restart ensues and selecting Win7 brings back up the Windows Failed to Start Properly screen again.

From the post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic443089.html, James says to do the following:

"For this we need to see a specific value in your registry.

If you are comfortable navigating the registry using regedit.exe then go to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

and let us know the value of BootExecute.

If you aren't experienced with using regedit.exe then you can do this to get the value...

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quote box below into it:

@echo off
>BEregQuery.txt (REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v BootExecute)
start BEregQuery.txt"

Apparently, the above is assuming one can boot into Win7, but since I cannot do that I would need another way to access Win7's Registry. Can I do this from CMD in Win8 or do I need to use an install disc to get a command prompt and change to the drive containing Win7?

It would also be helpful to know what the registry values which should be in the registry are so I can get this done in one session.

Thanks,
Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users