Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a weird keyboard problem. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, it's not a numlock issue. Months ago I spilled a sticky type of drink near the laptop and some splashed onto the keyboard. After using numerous alcohol swabs, I was able to restore the functionality of every key except: Esc - F1 - accent/tilde and the number one/exclamation point. Every other key worked properly at that point.

I experimented with some ASCII key sequences in the hope of being able to type an exclamation point when needed, but did not succeed. Again, after this the keyboard was working properly, except for the aforementioned keys.

I had the laptop, well, on my lap.......rose from the chair and placed the laptop on the floor. The mouse fell onto the keyboard. I did not think anything of this, until some of the keys started acting strangely.

When I use the 5, 6 & 7 keys across the top of the keyboard (not imbedded within the letter keys), they cause the Help Window to launch in whatever program I have open at that time. So if I'm using AOL, the AOL help screen will appear. The same thing occurs with the zero key, the dash/underscore key and the Delete key. On some occasions, the Font Properties window will appear, behind the Help Window.

The 2, 3, 4, 8, & 9 keys work correctly. Here's what I've tried so far:

* I was able to perform a System Restore to a point in time, one week prior to the mouse incident. This did not correct the problem.

* On boot up, I launched Safe Mode and chose Last Know Good Configuration. This did not correct the problem.

I am able to type numbers if I use the FN key with the numerical keypad embedded in the letter keys.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Typing has become quite a chore. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi

The first thing to mention is that if it were mine I would change the keyboard.

What type of sticky drink? Coke & Pepsi for example have an acid in them that will slowly corrode the keyboard parts.

The entire service manual is here.
The keyboard Removal and install are here
since this is a Dell it is very easy to do. The only thing you need to be careful with is the release for the keyboard cable. Being careful not to open it to far.

Looking on Ebay I found a new Keyboard @ $11.39 free shipping and 6 months warranty as an example of inexpensive.
Someone else had the same price free shipping, 1 year warranty.

I suspect damage to your existing keyboard and they are not really serviceable except by replacement.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I left out a piece if the scenario. When I type the 5, 6, or 7 keys, besides the Help Window launching, other characters appear in the field. For example, pressing the 5 may display `5==. Pressing the 6 may display ==6. I can not provide an exact example because the laptop is home and I'm at work. Also, the cursor jumps to the beginning of the field. So if I'm typing a password of John55, when I get to the 5, the cursor jumps to the beginning of the J and may even delete some of the characters. If needed, I can add more accurate information from home. Again, thanks.

#4 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Roger, thanks for the information but a Christmas miracle has occurred. The drink was actually a lemon drop martini and the sticky part came from the triple sec :-) As mentioned, the newer problem with the number keys was not related to the spill issue.
Friday night I left the laptop on (not a normal routine). When I woke it up Sat. morning, NAV had reported a threat, which it quarantined. It did not list the name of the threat and quite honestly, I updated NAV and performed a full scan when the problem first happened.
Well, whatever NAV found...........it fixed the number keys. All is working fine, with the exception of the 4 upper keys, which was due to the martini spill. One of these days, I will brave taking the laptop apart so I can thoroughly clean out the sticky remnants.
Thanks again!!

#5 aswinvijayakumar

aswinvijayakumar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

1. Try using an external/USB keyboard. if the issue is fixed try contacting dell and replace your keyboard.

2. type "OSK" in run window and try typing using the on screen keyboard.

This will help you to find if it is an issue with your Hardware or any infection. Infection too can push some problems like this.

#6 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

The keyboard problem has returned. Here's the scenario. I was curious about the threat that NAV found during the night, when the laptop was sitting idle and looked in the quarantine folder. Much to my surprise, there was no threat listed with the date that NAV reported the problem. The only threat listed was the one NAV discovered during my full scan, the day after the keyboard started acting up.

I ran a Live Update in NAV and ran another full scan Tues. night. NAV found Trojan.maljava and removed it. Afterward, I noticed that the keyboard's problem had returned. Some of the number keys above the letter keys were not working properly.

The #'s 2 - 3 and 4 keys work fine. The #'s 5 & 6 do not. 7 - 8 and 9 work fine, but the zero and dash keys do not. Also as before, the Del key does not work.

Curiosity not only kills the cat, but it also screws up the laptop keyboard. I should have quit while I was ahead. I'm hoping that NAV finds the original threat that restored the keyboard's functions. Thanks all.........wish me luck.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Based on the fact that there was spillage into the keyboard I believe the keyboard to be damaged. However the test is simple. Borrow a USB keyboard, plug it in and test. If the keys work from a external keyboard it is extremely unlikely to be a malware problem.

The next thing to decide is why would malware want to disable only those keys? I can not figure any benefit to Malware doing that.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 December 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users