Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change new or second hand?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 L0newolf

L0newolf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

How do I check if the laptop I am buying is new or have been use by someone?

I know some shop sell goods that are return to them 1 or 2 days after sale, so I am hoping to learn of ways to spot it to prevent myself from being cheated. After all I would never know what the previous owner have done to the laptop(gotten virus, malware or install hacked ware, etc.).

If the retailer reformatted the laptop will I still be able to spot whether the laptop have been used?

What are some of the important thing I need to know before I buy a laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I know some shop sell goods that are return to them 1 or 2 days after sale

These should be sold as open box reurns at a discount. If they don't mark them as used go elsewhere.

Several clues. Box should be clean, the tape sealing the box should not show signs of being retaped. Inside the box all parts should be sealed in their plastic bags with no signs of having been opened and taped shut again. Outside of the computer should be free of fingerprints.

Buy from a large retailer or direct from the maker. In a store look for a model where they have a stack of them to choose from. Stray thought, Best buy from my reading will take a certain percentage of a sale laptop for example and have it Geek Squad optimized and then charge for that service. Avoid.
Places Like Dell, Hp, Lenovo when they sell it as new it as new it will be new. They don't play games like resealing returns to sell as new.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 December 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 L0newolf

L0newolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the advice I will check for this when I buy a laptop....However I have a few more question for if those doesn't work.

If they don't mark them as used go elsewhere.

That's the thing I am wary about. If they don't tell and tape everything back up most people wouldn't know.

Several clues. Box should be clean, the tape sealing the box should not show signs of being retaped. Inside the box all parts should be sealed in their plastic bags with no signs of having been opened and taped shut again. Outside of the computer should be free of fingerprints.

But they most probably would have clean it up and wipe it clean, they are a IT retail company they would have the basic cleaning tools.

Is there any more sign I should look out for? Some of my friend might have been cheated and I wish to help them, especially if they are very noob at computers and can't tell what is odd. Location aside, they might be ask to buy from certain shop because their parents or friends recommended and couldn't refuse least they offend them but if they have certain proof that would be different.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

If you think you have been cheated, Pay a forensic lab to be certain. Failing that no way to be sure.

Reputable shops, chains don't play games as they have to much to lose not marking them as open box returns.

Empirically if a computer looks new, works like new, has new computer warranty, why worry?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users