Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to run most apps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stephen Hathaway

Stephen Hathaway

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have a client who downloaded a zip program of some type yesterday and got infected. Computer is running windows xp pro sp3 norton 360.

Most apps can't be started

Can't double click on anything, have to right click and then click open.

ie. When trying to run word 2010 get message : problem with shortcut : the windows installer service could not be accessed......

“ActiveX can’t create object.”

“Windows cannot find “helpctr.exe.”

spybot (updated) found w3i.iq5.fraud and removed it.

Malewarebytes : when updating, had to install new version, had some class object errors when dealing with creating shortcut on desktop, but did install, update and is now running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2012 - 12:21 PM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stephen Hathaway

Stephen Hathaway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Malewarebytes didn't find anything

I am unable to do a system restore. No matter what day I pick, it comes back saying that it couldn't restore successfully.

Doing a Norton 360 Scan now.

Steve

Edited by Stephen Hathaway, 07 December 2012 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users