Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VERY slow Internet Connect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have been having issues with an extremely slow connection for some time now and I'd like to resolve the issue. I have Comcast internet (also have it at work and I connect quickly) and when I go online, it can take 10-12 seconds before I am on. I've noticed particular issues with Firefox, which used to be my default browser until I started having issues, and I switched to Chrome, and I don't like it. Chrome is faster, but it also is much slower than I know it should be.

Windows XP Pro.

What do I do next?

Thanks.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from AII to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 December 2012 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

LittleGreenDots, I have moved your post to this forum. If at anytime someone who knows more than I do about malware thinks it should be moved back to AII it can be continued there.

Do you have ANY Comcast software installed? Constant Guard Protection Suite, Xfinity Toolbar, etc? Comcast does not have a stellar history with branded software.

The Constant Guard portion of the suite can cause system slowdown, as can the toolbar.

*side note* If you have Comcast Easy Solve get rid of it. Despite the name it solves nothing.

What is the make and model of your modem? There are Comcast modems that are end-of-life. These EOL devices will also impact speed. You can check to see if your device is EOL here http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
When the page opens check Show End-Of-Life Devices.

If your modem is not EOL, you don't have any Comcast software, and malware is not indicated I can refer you to Connection Experts at the Comcast Help Forums who will be able to look at signal levels and other things to determine if this is a Comcast issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 December 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hi. I appreciate you trying to help me. I do not think this is a Comcast issue. I've hooked my laptop up to the same connection and its fine. I do have Comcast service but I do not use any of the software they offer. I don't use their toolbars or antivirus programs, or anything else they offer.

I have particular issues with my default browser, Firefox. I suspect this might have something to do with Google and updates. That's what a computer friend suggested. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall Firefox and it didn't help. At first Chrome (I don't like Chrome) was much better but it is getting sluggish now too.

Please add this back to a forum that will address these issues.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

If all of your issues relate Internet connectivity...first thing I'd do is check for errors re your connectivity, since you seem to state that you have this problem with multiple browsers.

I notice a decide lack of mention re your email...any problems evident there?

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users