Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Os Wont Load!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farrit

farrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

FIRST OFF.... please read this... i know its long but i really need a comp of my own and thus provided all the info i have currently, relevent or not. i didn't know what info to give... sorry. i also apologize for any vagueness as this was a friends comp and i'm not sure what exactly he did to it.

ok here is all the back ground... i'm 17, my friend ryan bot a new comp and said that i could have his old one if i can get it to work. (he thinks he is gods gift to technology when in reality he is gods gift to repairmen.) he claims that it was fine the day be4 and sum how it up and decided to stop working sometime be4 he tried 2 turn it on the next day...

its not too old, maybe 5 years max. it says eMachine on start up so thats prob the type of comp it is. i went to turn it on and it went to the windows screen ( i believe it is running XP but it could be ME ) and instead of going to desk top, the screen stays black and an error message says that a file or program or something has caused an error and windows couldn't load... i took the cover off and with a faily large amount of head skratching and a generaly bewilderd look on my face the entire time :thumbsup:, finaly made the decision 2 blow out all the dust with a figgen bike pump (gently of course) because a friend said that the dust acts as insulation and could be causing it to over heat (this may be false, if so ide like to know) but no dice. i ve looked into this a little and thought about maybe dumping the harddrive and starting from scratch but i don't know exactly how, short from putting some sort of disk in the d drive... still i think it could be an option providing i find some sort of in-depth idiot-proof walkthrough, but i'm not sure if he even has the correct disks or whatever... i have the disks that came with the dell in my kitchen (don't ask, long, long story.) listed below, ill write a description of the disks (Titles underlined)...
  • disk 1 - purple disk, Operating system, reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP home edition, Including service Pack 1. Fine print this CD is is for distribution with a new dell computer only. this CD is not for reinstallation of drivers or programs. for use only with a dell.
  • disk 2 - blue disk, Application, for reinstalling roxio easy CD creator 5.3.4. SP8 Basic System Software. Fine print for use with Microsoft windows 2000, NT 4.0, AND XP Operating Systems. for use with a dell
  • disk 3 - blue disk, Application for reinstalling dell tools system software. contents anti virus, support, multimedia, and internet softwares. for use with a dell
  • disk 4 - rainboweyish Microsoft Office XP, version 2002, service pack 1 only as a supplement to Microsoft software validly licensed and distributed with a new pc.
  • disks 5 & 6 (two part installation) - hologram embedded (kinda kewl lookin really), Microsoft Office XP: Small business edition
i know it says to use the disks only with a dell and no one can leagaly approve its use for a different comp, but lets say if a friend of mine were to put a certain... ummm...lets say... Bell disk.... in a certain Emachine comp what would hypothetically happen?

if any one knows a solution to whatevr could be causing the problem, an idiot-proof walk through, or the out come to this TOTALY hypothetical situation, anything. evry little bit counts... please respond or e-mail me at chris_99_200@yahoo.com
-thank you :flowers:

P.S. please dum down any responses... as im not a complete moron, but ide like to be 100% clear on what it is i am to do...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Thats a fair bit of helpful information. What would also be helpful is the exact error mesage that appears. That will give us a direction to go. :thumbsup:

#3 farrit

farrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

ty for replying.
myolder comp is at his house as well as the comp in question... ya see , i took my old dinosaur over and swapt the hard drives and it worked fine, thats how i narrowed the problem to the hard drive... but the the one thats wacked happens to be 40 gigs and the one from my comp is only 6 gigs. the smaller one is running 98 and cant support xp due to its lack of space. (it needs to be swiped clean as well...

#4 farrit

farrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:46 PM

and also about the error message... i called him but i for got to put the hard drives back and hes to friggen lazy to do it in order to relay the msg back to me to tell you so im gunna have to do it tomrrow... sunday 4 sure... thanx again. cool people rock!

#5 farrit

farrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

i was also reading some stuff about booting using command prompts, is there away to run a program other than the os, like a hard drive error scanner thing-a-ma-bobber? i know where to type the the stuff in and how to get there but i dont know what to type... or even if i can run a progrm other than the os. if so could you tell me the commands? and also when i tell u the entire error msg could you tell me if there is an other way to fix it? ide like to keep the whole disk swipe thing a last resort if possible. i dont feel all that comfy messin with windows it self... ide much wrater deal with issues from the desktop as i know my way around much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users