ok here is all the back ground... i'm 17, my friend ryan bot a new comp and said that i could have his old one if i can get it to work. (he thinks he is gods gift to technology when in reality he is gods gift to repairmen.) he claims that it was fine the day be4 and sum how it up and decided to stop working sometime be4 he tried 2 turn it on the next day...
its not too old, maybe 5 years max. it says eMachine on start up so thats prob the type of comp it is. i went to turn it on and it went to the windows screen ( i believe it is running XP but it could be ME ) and instead of going to desk top, the screen stays black and an error message says that a file or program or something has caused an error and windows couldn't load... i took the cover off and with a faily large amount of head skratching and a generaly bewilderd look on my face the entire time , finaly made the decision 2 blow out all the dust with a figgen bike pump (gently of course) because a friend said that the dust acts as insulation and could be causing it to over heat (this may be false, if so ide like to know) but no dice. i ve looked into this a little and thought about maybe dumping the harddrive and starting from scratch but i don't know exactly how, short from putting some sort of disk in the d drive... still i think it could be an option providing i find some sort of in-depth idiot-proof walkthrough, but i'm not sure if he even has the correct disks or whatever... i have the disks that came with the dell in my kitchen (don't ask, long, long story.) listed below, ill write a description of the disks (Titles underlined)...
- disk 1 - purple disk, Operating system, reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP home edition, Including service Pack 1. Fine print this CD is is for distribution with a new dell computer only. this CD is not for reinstallation of drivers or programs. for use only with a dell.
- disk 2 - blue disk, Application, for reinstalling roxio easy CD creator 5.3.4. SP8 Basic System Software. Fine print for use with Microsoft windows 2000, NT 4.0, AND XP Operating Systems. for use with a dell
- disk 3 - blue disk, Application for reinstalling dell tools system software. contents anti virus, support, multimedia, and internet softwares. for use with a dell
- disk 4 - rainboweyish Microsoft Office XP, version 2002, service pack 1 only as a supplement to Microsoft software validly licensed and distributed with a new pc.
- disks 5 & 6 (two part installation) - hologram embedded (kinda kewl lookin really), Microsoft Office XP: Small business edition
if any one knows a solution to whatevr could be causing the problem, an idiot-proof walk through, or the out come to this TOTALY hypothetical situation, anything. evry little bit counts... please respond or e-mail me at email@example.com
P.S. please dum down any responses... as im not a complete moron, but ide like to be 100% clear on what it is i am to do...