Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't print without admin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 btcomm

btcomm

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

On this computer any user I give admin rights to can print just fine. I set the security so that the everyone user has rights to the printer but if they don't have admin their print job just gets stuck in the que. It is an HP deskjet 6127, previously it was getting an error message about "A program running on this computer is trying to display a message." when a non admin would try to print and the print job would get stuck. I disabled the Interactive Services Detection service and it got rid of that message but the print job gets stuck just the same. It doesn't get an error message, it just says printing and never goes anywhere.

I also tried giving everyone read/write access to the print driver folder, that hasn't helped.

Edited by btcomm, 06 December 2012 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Rights/privileges...appear not to be an issue here. If a print job is generated, that's an indication to me that rights have nothing to do with what occurs.

I'd check the printer manufacturer's site for possible documentation re such problems/errors as are spat out by the printer.

FWIW: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me.aspx

Louis

#3 btcomm

btcomm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Rights/privileges...appear not to be an issue here. If a print job is generated, that's an indication to me that rights have nothing to do with what occurs.

I'd check the printer manufacturer's site for possible documentation re such problems/errors as are spat out by the printer.

FWIW: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me.aspx

Louis

While you say rights are not an issue, I don't understand why this user can print if they are given admin but can't when they don't have it. I have given admin rights to people that have the issue and they can print just fine after that.

Also I think I saw your link already or something similar. I already disabled the service and it prevents that screen from popping up but it still won't print for non admin users.

Another thing, this computer has Dragon Naturally speaking on it, I don't know if that would affect it at all.

Edited by btcomm, 10 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users