Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Making Noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

My monitor is making noise and it sounds like someone putting there nails on a chalkboard, the sound wont go away. what do i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

You may have a power transformer going out. It there also a smell of burning wax?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Heyoldman

Heyoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

what do i do if i do have one out?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:07 AM

Look for a new monitor. That smell is the insulation overheating around the transformer. It will fail soon. It is similar to the failure of a light ballist.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:02 AM

A squealing/screeching sound can also be produced by the monitor's Switched Mode Power Supply if electrolytic capacitors are deteriorating. This is reasonably common for monitors and TVs, there will be no accompanying burning smell and whilst not as terminal as the already suggested transformer fault, if left unattended the power supply will also eventually fail.

If it's capacitors, that is not a difficult repair for a repair shop, but unfortunately with the low cost of monitors these days, even a simple repair may be uneconomic in comparison. It depends on the age, quality and size of the monitor (and hence the cost of its replacement... )

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users