Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple one. Where is BOOTMGR and NTLDR stored?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Whenever I encounter a boot error like these, my first course of action is to scan the hard drive. I have done too many re-installs that have failed, fixes that only 1/2 work, and so on and so forth because the hard drive has been bad. So, the question is, are these stored right at the beginning of the drive? Or is there not specific place for them? Essentially, if I scan the first GB Of a HDD, and it doesn't find any errors, is it safe to assume that the NTLDR or the BOOTMGR isn't corrupt as a result of a defective HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsb/g/bootmgr.htm

The above link may answer your questions,even though they're not easily answered,as they're not very logical to my thinking.Your last sentence in particular is rather odd.

İf the hard drive is bad,of course you're going to have boot error problems,of one sort or another.You have done too many re-installs that have failed,fixes that only half work,because the hdd has been bad? Well of course! İf the hdd is not healthy what else can you expect.

Unless i misunderstood your post,that's all i can say i'm afraid.
Perhaps others here may have more to say.

#3 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsb/g/bootmgr.htm

The above link may answer your questions,even though they're not easily answered,as they're not very logical to my thinking.Your last sentence in particular is rather odd.

İf the hard drive is bad,of course you're going to have boot error problems,of one sort or another.You have done too many re-installs that have failed,fixes that only half work,because the hdd has been bad? Well of course! İf the hdd is not healthy what else can you expect.

Unless i misunderstood your post,that's all i can say i'm afraid.
Perhaps others here may have more to say.

So then if I understand that correctly BOOTMGR is an actual file, and thus has the potential to be anywhere on the partition, beginning, middle or end, and thus if I wish to know for sure if the sectors that contain BOOTMGR (Assuming I am only interested in those sectors) it is necessary to scan the whole drive, (Or locate the particular sectors that file is stored in, and scan them.)

#4 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Scanning the whole drive is always best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users