Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless issue after update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hello, I have recently installed pclinusos2011(kde) on and old laptop of mine (Compaq Evo n620c) and every thing was working great, it detected my wireless card and seamlessly got me on the internet. Yesterday I decided to update my system with Synaptic and after the update finished I rebooted and attempted to get on the internet but got an error stating ''the following component is missing /lib/firmware/isl3886pci" which relates to my wireless card, the error also gave me a download link to the missing file
which I have downloaded but I do not know what to do with it,where to put it or how to install it.The download link offered some install help but this was way over my head. My wireless card does show up in the network center but no network is listed.. Assuming this is my problem could someone offer me some simple advice on how to get this working. I have done some research on this and apparently the newer Linux kernel does not support this old card?? As stated above the card works with the "non updated" version and also on Windows XP so I know that the card and signal are good. Thanks in advance for any help given. John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm only a user myself in Linux but might be able to help you. I've fixed my own wireless when it fails but it's taken an hour or two if it's a new install.

First, who's the main branch of linux that your OS uses? Debian, Red Hat, etc.

What is the full name of the file you downloaded? It could be a tar, deb, zip, or executable and all install differently.

Do you know how to use "sudo" and the command-line?

At a guess you have a non-free driver required and need to manually add/update it after your last full update/upgrade. (There is ALWAYS a risk doing this will break your current setup. I lost my dual 3840x1080 monitor setup with the move to the current 3.7 kernel which no longer supports nvidia at the moment.)

From a quick read this seems to be a Debian based OS "PCLinuxOS is distributed as a LiveCD, and can also be installed to your computer. The LiveCD mode lets you try PCLInuxOS without making any changes to your computer. If you like it, you can install the operating system to your hard drive. Locally installed versions of PCLinuxOS utilize the Advanced Packaging Tool (or APT), a package management system (originally from the Debian distribution), together with Synaptic, a GUI frontend to APT for easy software installation. PCLinuxOS has over 12,000 rpm software packages available from our software repository."

Which means you can use the command line and apt, apt-get, and probably dpkg to install packages.

This should help get you going and the answers you provided should help anyone supporting you by giving you the right tools for your download.

Regards,
Zen

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Zen Seeker, Thanks for your reply and attempt to help me with this issue but unfortunatly after spending to much time trying get this resolved I got frustrated and decided to scrap PClinuxos. I have since installed Mint 13 and have been using it as my goto distro. Sorry about not deleting this post after I decided to move on but after not getting any reply's I figured it was a dead thread. Thanks again for your help.

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

No worries and thanks for the reply.

I just had a quick peek and the new Mint 14 release I downloaded yesterday. Seems very good on the live DVD. I also installed wicd which is a wireless manager with a GUI.

sudo apt-get install wicd

Looks pretty staight forward and allowed me to connect without issues to my SSID while showing others around me.

Good luck with Mint, I'll be looking at it further in the new year.

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users