Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply causing (or contributing to) bouncing screen on laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sbmmm

sbmmm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Re: HP Envy 17 laptop -Win7, Intel i5, ATI Radeon HD 5850

After 2 years, every time the power adapter is newly plugged in (with or without the battery installed) or there is a power interruption, the screen starts bouncing out of control. A power interruption can be as simple as accidentally unplugging the power cord or a temporary power disruption to the building. After such an event, when the power cord is plugged back in, the screen starts bouncing uncontrollably.

Just recently, I removed the battery (and power cord) after another power interruption. After waiting 2 hours, without installing the battery, I plugged the laptop back in. The bouncing screen issue still lingered. At this point, I left the power cord plugged in and waited another 2 hours. The problem was still there. Then, even though the battery was not installed, I left it plugged in overnight (7-8 more hours) before I booted it up. Finally, the problem was gone...until the next time I need to unplug my laptop or it there is a forced power interruption.

There are two temporary solutions. One, when the power cord is removed and the laptop is working on battery power only, there is no problem (my two HP batteries work fine). Two, wait a certain length of time (unknown) before an ac power source no longer remains disruptive. For the latter, it's getting worse as time progresses, meaning more time is required to wait. It's obviously a deteriorating condition.

As I see it now, this seems to be an unstable power supply/management issue that, for some reason, affects the screen when not on battery power. I don't want to replace the computer. It works great for my needs for at least another 1-2 years. Power cord issue? Hardware issue? Any suggestions to solve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums,

You could try a new power cord, but an unstable power outlet could just cause this problem for you again. If the power is that unstable in outlet you may want to try a battery backup plus surge protector. This would guarantee that your power would not be interrupted to your laptop in the event of outage or surge.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users