Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

hey everyone long time no posting for me lol... how are you all?
anyways my computer ( dell L700CXE with windows ME) has always been a slow computer. im getting a new one over the summer but for now i'd like to speed this thing up. so i found out ive got 63 MB RAM (im readin from "system properties") and its a intel celeron processor...

so does RAM determine the speed of the PC? how can i upgrade for not a lot of $$$? all i need is a little speed
thanks for anyhelp guys.

~~ ihateadware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

What I am finding you have a Dell Dimention L700cxe. Possibibly a 700mhz? If so you can max out your RAM at 512mb. I would guess that would bee because of having only 2 memory slots. Most Dell of that age have 3 and max out at 768mb of RAM. Use the utility to obtain information on your systemEverest Home 2.2.
Yes more RAM will speed things up dramaticly. It must be painfully slow with only 64mb of RAM. you should be able to install two 256mb PC100 SDram sticks for $35/per stick.
I also assume you have an intergrated video card with 1 mb of onboard RAM. Once you increase your RAM see if you can increase you dedicated video memory. If not you could upgrade your video to a 64mb nVidia for about $30.
If you would like us to make a full recommendation on your computer please post the information retrieved by Everest.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

hi acklan thanks for helpin me out here,

well i ran a report in EVEREST and i found some things to help you reccomend more/new RAM

heres what i thought you would want :

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method None
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
Supported Memory Types DIMM, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 256 MB
Memory Slots 2

[ Processors / Celeron™ ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Version Celeron™
External Clock 66 MHz
Maximum Clock 700 MHz
Current Clock 700 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.6 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation J5H1

i also found out that i have BARELY any physical memory left is this a product of not having much RAM?
and yes this computer does go incredibly slow at times (im not infected with any adware, spyware, etc.). Im not exactly looking to upgrade my graphics card but i heard it can also be a factor in speed. now i know that they've got like a gig of RAM out there but ANYTHING is a huge upgrade from what ive got right now. so is the information ive given you enough for you to suggest some RAM?
thank you for your help so far.
i forgot to mention before, i dont run many programs, ive got about 3 where the clock is or watever thats called.

which of the following will work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141334

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820136009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145132

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141219

Edited by ihateadware52792, 24 March 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

You need PC100 or PC133 low density SDram 168pin memory modules. You had DDR RAM list in two of the adds you. THEY WILL NOT WORK!
I have purchased a vast majority of my RAM on eBay. Most will steer you away but it is the only way to buy RAM at a reasonable price for older computers. I have used the following merchant several times.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...assZqualityrams

He lists RAM for a Dell Dimension for only $28+$9(ship)=$37 delievered. I believe this is your best option.
You will improve the preformance of your computer with a video upgrade. You would probabily need a PCI video card to upgrade. Dell is bad about not having a AGP slot available for upgrading. I use Jaton video cards for my older Dells.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

ok well that ebay search looks really good. but is just one of those enough?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users