Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ShiconXP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D Willis

D Willis

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Windows 7 SP1
IE 9
Dell Studio XPS

When starting windows this little window pops up "ShwiconXP',it's real quick so you have to be watching to see it.I googled it and believe it to be associated with multicard reader.I would like to know if I am correct about this,it don't seem to be harmful as its been on here for some time,don't really know exactly how long.I could uninstall multicard reader to see if it goes away,but thought someone on here might know what it is.

Edited by D Willis, 06 December 2012 - 07:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I found something different. An app named Todo for iphone and possibly others. Shwiconxp.exe
Is it possible you misspelled?

See if you can find the file on your comp and explore to see what its properties are.

You can even submit the file to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan
and it will be scanned by over 40 security programs. Takes only a few minutes or less.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm not sure I know how to look up a file.It only shows up in the little window at start up.The spelling is correct.ShwiconXP

Edited by D Willis, 06 December 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#4 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

The info I got from File.net,which I got from google.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Click on Start and enter ShwiconXP or ShwiconXP.exe in the search box and then hit Enter.

If you find the file on your comp I suggest you do submit it to VirusTotal.

Shwiconxp.exe process | What is Shwiconxp.exe file? (just one source)

Edited by buddy215, 06 December 2012 - 10:53 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I found the file under Multimedia Card Reader(9106),when I double clicked on it,it opened in notepad but I don't know what that stuff means.On a web site "isthisfilesafe.com"it is from Alcon Micro Corp and is a IconUtility,this file is not digitally signed,according to the web site it is harmless.I guess I'll not worry about it since it has been on here since the first day I turned on this computer,according to the information on this computer.
Thank you for your replies and hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

No problem....any chance you might have a card in your card reader? Just thinking about what might cause the
file to be seen at startup.

You might want to do this:
ChkDsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. Disk errors are a common source of difficult-to-track problems, and ChkDsk should be one of the first tools you use when troubleshooting problems that do not appear to be the result of a recent system change. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to use ChkDsk.

How to Use the Graphical ChkDsk Interface
you can run ChkDsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer by following these steps: (select the bolded step)

• Click Start and then click Computer.
  • Right-click the volume you want to check and then click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab and then click Check Now.
  • Do one of the following:
  • To run ChkDsk in read-only mode, clear all check boxes and then click Start.
  • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically Fix File System Errors check box and then click Start.
  • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For And Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors check boxes and then click Start.
ChkDsk will run immediately if the volume is not in use and then display the results in a dialog box. If the volume is in use, ChkDsk will request that you schedule a disk check for the next time the computer is restarted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users