Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio - One beep, then two beeps, crashes on bootup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mulderator

mulderator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

This is a Dell Studio 540 with Windows Vista Premium. So I am trying to fix it for a friend. I have never used Vista before (I had all XP computers and avoided Vista). Anyway, her computer crashed and would not boot up. She had a bad power supply which I replaced. The computer boots (1 beep, then two beeps) and then boots fine into Windows. However, about 5 minutes after booting up, the computer blue-screens and crashes and does not stay long enough for me to see any messages, then re-boots. This DOES NOT happen in Safe Mode. In fact, I tried a system restore from safe mode which did nothing. I of course suspect that its a corrupted Windows installation since it works in Safe Mode.

Now she does not recall the beeps codes when the computer started up (never paid attention) but the research I did indicates this may be a glitch in some of the 540s--in other words they give the usual one beep on start up then a few seconds later, two short beeps but does not effect the boot into windows. So this may have nothing to do with the problem. I 've swapped ram, video card, nothing stops the two-beeps.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is just re-install Windows Vista. I do have a DVD--although I have reinstalled XP countless times, I have never done it with Vista--does it work the same? If so, is there a guide as to re-installation? (not fresh installation--re-installation). Or is there something else I can try to fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

Try disabling the automatic reboot, so you can write down the BSOD message. You can do this by pressing F8 after the bios splash screen. Same place you see the option for booting into safe mode.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

The beep codes most probably points to a faulty memory stick. Try alternately use one stick and check the beep code and bluescreen again. A Ram test and hard drive test is also needed just in case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users