Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Win 7, need tips!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

I apologize if this is the incorrect place for this topic, but here goes.

Being a gamer, I realize my computer is definitely out of date, HOWEVER! At the moment I'd like just to add 4GB more of RAM, but obviously I am limited to 3GB with Vista Home Premium.

SOLUTION: Windows 7 Home Premium
WHY?: 16GB max RAM, plus 32 and 64 bit option (most games are now expecting 64bit)

CONCERNS: There are so many "tutorials" on how to to do a fresh install of windows, but I commonly read and hear about crashing issues after, therefore I'm afraid to invest all my trust in tutorials.

WHAT DO I NEED?: I need professional advice on doing a Reliable, Efficient, and well Prepared fresh install of Win 7.

64Bit or 32Bit Issue?: Having (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.2Ghz) I believe I can go to 32bit and 64bit correct? At the moment I'm running on a 32Bit Vista Home Premium, so will that cause issues in the BIO's when I want to use the 64bit side of Win7? (I believe you can alternate between 32bit and 64bit in Win7 Home Premium)

MISC QUESTIONS:
- What drivers should I have downloaded and ready?
- How do can I prepare for internet connection after reformatting? (I use the WN111v2 USB)
- Should I choose (Recommended Update, or only Important?)
- When in the process should I add my 2 pairs of 2GB RAM cards? (I plan to remove the 2x512MB RAM cards)
- Anything BIO's related I should be sure of?

Computer Specs: Velocity Micro Promagix T1000 *upgraded*)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000: 3.2Ghz (factory overclocked)
- 500GB HDD (7200RPM, SATA300, 16MB cache)
- 3GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2
- Nvidia EVGA 1GB GDDR3 GTS450 Super Clocked
- Nvidia Socket AM2 mATX Motherboard (630a Chipset)
- 400 Watt PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Try this tuttorial:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Having (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.2Ghz) I believe I can go to 32bit and 64bit correct?

Yes, that processor will support the 64-bit operating system.

At the moment I'm running on a 32Bit Vista Home Premium, so will that cause issues in the BIO's when I want to use the 64bit side of Win7? (I
believe you can alternate between 32bit and 64bit in Win7 Home Premium)

The BIOS is compoletely separate from this, it won't effect it.  The following is a quatation from Microsoft Community.  The operating systems are both Windows 7, but the principal is the same.  You will need to look into the tutorial for creating two partitions for the two operating systems.

"Yes you can. Just make sure you have appropriate partitions for both operating systems installed. You can install either before or after, doesn't matter. Windows 7 64 bit setup cannot be started from within Windows 7 32 bit, so if you install that first, you will need to boot from your Windows 7 64 bit disk, click Custom
Install during the install options and select the prepared hard disk or partition and Windows 7 will take care of the rest. Once installation is complete, you will have the option when your computer to select either version to boot into. Please note, you can only have 1 activated license, if you need to use both, you will need
have both licensed separately, cannot use the same key. However, you can evaluate both for 30 days until decide which one is appropriate for your needs."

What drivers should I have downloaded and ready?

You will need the disc which came with the motherboard to install the drivers you will need.

Should I choose (Recommended Update, or only Important?)

Windows 7 has one service pack, I would install that one first as it will take care of a lot of the updates, and then install the important updates, this holds true for Windows 8 as well.

When in the process should I add my 2 pairs of 2GB RAM cards? (I plan to remove the 2x512MB RAM cards)

I would leave the hardware as it is until after the installation of the operating systems, this way if there is an issue after installing the RAM it won't be be associated with the software installation.

Anything BIO's related I should be sure of?

The only time you should flash the BIOS is if you have a hardware change which will require an update in order to facilitate the hardware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users