Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows defender on or off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

My Dell desktop came with a version of McAfee antivirus software. If I want to keep it, it will cost me $59.00 bucks. I don't want to keep it. Will Windows defender start automatically when I uninstall McAfee or will I have to turn it on? If I have to turn it on-how? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xxkrisxx665

xxkrisxx665

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

when you delete McAfee a notification to turn windows defender on will appear in the action center or it could be done by simply searching for defender and clicking on the icon. I highly recommend avast for a free anti virus more complete then defender and adds the ability to schedule a scan.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I haven't used Avast in several years, relaying on MS security essentials instead. I'll give avast a try after I dump McAfee.

#4 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi there,
My Toshiba came with McAfee trial as well. It has now expired and I have uninstalled it.Had to remove the tile on the opening screen separately. Windows Defender didn't turn on and I didn't get any warnings about it, However I already had Avast! installed and find it to be reliable and impressive for a freebie.
Best wishes ... John N

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

IMO both McAfee (all products) and Windows Defender are useless (and the latter is a tremendous waste of resources). I always disable Defender (by disabling the Windows Defender Service)

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to D/L Avast and have it ready when McAfee stops working. I'm unable to find out when McAfee will expire, so I'll just keep an eye on it.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just uninstall it and install Avast.

#8 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Update: I dumped McAfee and installed Avast. Avast looks good, in fact, I took the trial for the upgrade. But, I think while I was downloading Avast, Google Chrome rode in on the download. I don't like chrome and consider it to be snoop ware. While uninstalling Chrome I noticed Yontoo 1.10.03 had also been installed. With a little research I found out that Yontoo is not considered spyware by most AV programs, but I consider it to be adware/spyware and can be difficult to uninstall. I thought I let people know that I uninstalled it using CCleaner.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Did you download Avast directly from their site or from a 3rd party site (such as CNET)?

#10 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. I think is was CNET. I always trusted CNET, till now anyway. I won't be D/L anything else from CNET. Thanks for the reply.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, they've been including 3rd party stuff lately. Whenever possible you should download any and all software directly from the author's site(s).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users