Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whoa! Big Problem With Cachemanxp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

Oh man, I really did it now! Installed cachemanXP. Lots of on/off choices for AVI scan, WMI logging, etc., other options to change cache size, control of cache size, auto-recover RAM in a different way than windows does, add/subtract critical/delayed threads, hang time, limit reserve bandwidth, wait to kill app/service timeout, etc., in addition to "recover ram" and "auto-optimize". So I read the manual and adjusted all those things. And YIKES!, on reboot, STUFF HAPPENED! I don't know what all is changed, everything that works is faster, for sure, but no email, error 0x8b010016, all email folders are empty, and spysweeper had no definitions (I just got them back though, full download of 135000 definitions). And it works. Some stuff on this "Post new topic" page look odd, some emoticons not there, just little box with red X. Something is really changed.

Did automated backup before first cacheman start", now I can get here, and internet seems to work fine, but all those settings I put in cacheman are still there (I can see them in the program settings) and will take effect when I reboot.

So, to answer your question, NO, I don't remember the default settings and there isn't an option to set them back to default. I don't think there is, let me check.... No, didn't find defaults. Cacheman has auto-optimize, but not on trial version, which is what I am/was doing, trying it.

Does anyone know about this program? I know if/when I contact MSN (my ISP), they'll say, "No soup for you! We don't know cacheman." So if anyone here can help, don't hesitate, do it now. Por favor.

One of these days I will know enough / be prudent enough that I won't get into these fixes. But I gotta tell you, this computer seems a little unstable right now, the cursor is all jittery like a race horse, but, man, it works FAST!

EDIT1: So, obviously I want to keep this program, if you were going to suggest dumping it. It's got all thes cool controls to mess with my computer's mind.... If you're even moderately geeky, you know what I mean.

EDIT2: Two minutes later. clicked on cacheman to see if I could get a screenshot of it to attach here, went to "ERROR" DIVISION BY ZERO!" and kept repeating that until I exited cacheman.

Oh, baby. This is a fine mess.

(To moderator: I now see the edit button, and will use it in future, as directed)

OK, if it matters, CPU is pegged at 100% even with cacheman off. Nice time to clock it I guess.

Edited by brillo, 24 March 2006 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Now you know: Most cache programs for XP are unnecessary and possibly harmful. XP does a really good job of managing its caches all by its lonsome. No additional help is needed or wanted.

If you want some really geeky things to try out, go to Kelly's Korner. It took me days just to read through the list.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

Use Windows System Restore to return your system to a point before you started messing it up and then LEAVE IT ALONE!

Programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users