Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recimg.exe and systemreset.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Recimg.exe and systemreset.exe are the new technologies in Windows 8 that, effectually, replace System Restore. I understand how to operate them via command line and it even works on some occasions, but there are many times when it fails, offering only error codes which do not greatly disclose any helpful knowledge. Does anyone have any intimate knowledge or experience with these two programs? How exactly do they work? Lately, I've been having issues restoring custom refresh images. The computer will reboot, say there was a problem and that nothing was changed. If I try to click on "more information" it just crashes.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hope this helps. :thumbup2:

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

It does not, but thanks. As I said, I already know how to use it. I'm more interested in how it works, api documentation, etc. I'm having trouble finding much info on it.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I just put up a tutorial on how to create Custom Refresh Images:

How to create a custom refresh image in Windows 8

I put in some work arounds for common errors, but are you seeing different ones? What types of issues are running into?

Most of the errors I saw dealt with the VSS issues as the image creation process is done by creating a snapshot using the Volume Shadow Service.

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sorry I didn't see your post Grinler. I hope you will still see this. Thanks for responding. I'm getting some stop errors from Windows. Different ones each time... sometimes I get 0x80070037 and other times I get 0x80042411. There were even a couple more but I can't remember them right now and they weren't written down. I've been playing with Windows 8 for months now and I like this feature, but I feel that there are definitely some problems on Microsoft's end that have yet to be worked out (e.g. Volume Shadow Service). It appears to me that the problem usually doesn't occur when the image is being written or copied, but at any junction when VSS is involved. What is your opinion.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately VSS is used during the entire image creation phase. From what I can tell it creates a VSS snapshot and then copies it into the custom image.

#7 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for your feedback. This is a neat feature and I'd like to see it working 100% but from what I understand, VSS has always been buggy and fickle.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

VSS is really a great feature of Windows as it allows live snapshots and features like previous versions or File History in Windows 8. At the same time, as you can see, conflicts can easily happen, which can cause other features to not work as expected sometimes :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users