Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hey, not sure if this belongs in here or the "Networking" forum, but by girlfriend recently purchased and installed a wireless router to create a home network. However, none of her computers allow her to send any files through an instant messenger program (Gaim, Aim, Yahoo, etc.). They worked fine before she installed the router, and she hasn't messed around with the windows firewalls on her boxes, so we assume there must be an internal firewall or something on the wireless router that's blocking the ports needed to send and receive....

The router is the Belkin Wireless G Router, and she purchased it about a month ago, if that makes any difference. Any idea how to allow the sending/receiving of files through an instant messenger program?

Thanx in advance.

Update Edit: -- Ok, it seems she can RECEIVE files, but can't send them..... the reception seems to be random.....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 24 March 2006 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Have you tried logging into the router and doing port forwarding..... my netgear lets you log in with 192.168.0.1, but I am not sure about the Belkin. It will say in the manual..... while you are there, remember to change the default password too. :thumbsup:

EDIT: the addy is 192.168.2.1

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanx groovicus, i'm trying to guide her through it now. I googled "port forwarding belkin g" and came up with a site about how to enable UPnP through the address you gave.

Unfortunately, for some reason it's not letting her change any settings. She changes something, clicks "apply changes", and it goes back to what it was originally. We're trying to work it now (unfortunately i'm in raleigh, and she's 60 miles away, so it's kinda rough trying to help her through it).

Will report back when situation is updated.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

You might be able to connect directly to her router by putting her IP into her browser. This is a way long shot though if she does not have it set for remote admin. I cna get into my server router this way. I'm assuming that since she can get in to try and make changes that she has the correct password. I can't imagine why thge changes wouldn't stick though...

Oh, double check that the windows firewall is not on also It might be on, and she might not know it.

Final thought is that things the configuration may have managed to become so goofed up that you may have to try a hardware reset. Does that particular brand come with an install disk?

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Ok, she was able enable UPnP, but it still didn't help with her trying to send me files. It times out, and actually crashes my GAIM..... that's incredibly odd....

I was trying to help her using this pic: Belkin Settings

The UPnP seems to be what's needed to enable peer-sharing, video, audio, etc support, but she enabled it, restarted the router, and it still didn't work... The windows firewall is off, i don't want to try and guide her through setting up remote access, and the re-installation is the last option.

Any more suggestions? Sorry, for being so difficult, lol.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

No need to apologize. This just gives me a chance to stretch my brain. Unfortunately I am comuing up short on several different problems tonight.

All she needs to do to set up remote admin is click yes, and put your IP in there,and apply changes.

I'm guessing that she can't get out with IM or anything because the neccessary ports are not open. I can't see exactly where that option would be, and the manual I found doesn't jive with the screenshot that you are showing.
http://www.belkin.com/support/download/dow...sp?file_id=1818

There should also be a way to completely disable the firewall also. If she can do that, then use the windows firewall until you can get there to see what is going on.

Cuss.... that's usually a helpful option.

That's all I can think of too. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users