Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Hi

I wish to know if its possible to password protect a Drive or a particular Folder in Windows 7 Professional

Also,how much difference does an Antivirus make in a lappy battery performance I read a few Articles that claim that Security Essentials uses the least amount of Resources compared to others thereby causing less battery usage..

so do the antivirus play that great a role when it comes to laptop`s battery life? :mellow:

Thanks in Advance
Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Special Techie

Special Techie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Here is the password protection, which is good.

http://www.everstrike.com/password-protect-folders/

And yes, antiviruses use many resources so that the laptop battery performance may reduce. But don't know which one is better. Sorry!

#3 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Does Windows have anything built in???

i read that Kaspersky causes more battery drain

and Security essentials and Eset cause the least and Information would be appreciated
Midou

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi

On current machine I have 4 things open and unless I actively do something I run at around 0 to 1 percent CPU with 55 processes going currently. That includes Antivirus some other things.

Higher CPU will use more power, However I do not expect any modern AntiVirus to use enough CPU to see a difference in battery life.
That is of course an opinion, it is from some one that uses two laptops and a Desktop however.

In my opinion the mAH (milliampere-hour) rating of the battery as well as how old it is will have more of an impact on battery life.

If You want longer battery life, get the higher mAH rated battery.

Or reduce drain on the battery, Dim the screen, do not use the optical drive, switch from a hard drive to a SSD drive, Turn off the wireless if not needed, Don't do things that use the CPU at a higher level such as watching video, etc.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Special Techie

Special Techie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I really got to know new things from the forum like this. Super Like BleepingComputer. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users