Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

hi all,
it's my odopted grammy's new laptop. she travels and wants it secure for wireless operation.
Dell Inspiron 1600
Intel® Pentium® M
processor 1.73GHz
794 MHz, 512MB RAM
Physical Address Extension
XP SP2

she uses McAfee, which is cool because they included an encryption program for wireless operation in their package. i put spybot, ad-aware, microsoft antispy, spyware guard, spyware blaster, and ccleaner.
two issues here. kinda wierd. she likes msn as a browser. i can't believe how much crap Dell puts on their pcs. i keep getting alerts from microsoft antispy and windows that a BHO {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} keeps trying to install itself. so i googled it. GoogleAFE! i've already removed it via add/remove.
the other issue may be related. but when she surfs, she likes the google tool bar w/IE. i hope i can explain this. if, i open IE, it develops, right click on the tool bar,McAfee and google are there. however, if i tick google, McAfee appears. tick McAfee, google appears.
so i could really use some help on these two issues.

ty, igo

my grammy doesn't understand these things and she wouldn't know what to do if an alert popped up. i know sooner or later she will get one.
Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

Do you know what the BHO was?
Some aps use BHOs like Google Toolbar,

{CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777}
Filename GoogleAE.dll
Object Name GoogleAFE
Status O BHO
Description Google.com Search related, found on Dell computers.
Responsible for redirecting 404s to this placeholder web page.(instead of what might be a page loaded with malicious code to infect Granny's computer)

What ap informed you of the BHO?

Before you just start deleting you should research what you are doing.
The IE browser has a popup blocker function. Click on "tools"/"popup blocker", and turn it on.
Show Granny where it is and how to turn it on or off because she might need/want popups working on certain sites (like possibly her bank where the screen might appear to freeze or be inoperative if you block their popups)

Stop deleting things from Granny's computer that were installed by Dell unless you know exactly what they are and what impact removing them will have.

By the way, the Microsoft Anti-spyware Beta has been upgraded and replaced with Windows Defender. You should upgrade Granny's computer to that VIA Microsoft.com

You should also go to Windows Update (click start/Windows Update) and get any updates that are available.
Set Windows Update to download and install Critical Updates automatically and set a time when you know (or are reasonably sure) that the computer will be on.

She will get popups occasionally, but not all popups are bad. Teach her what they are and how to determine if she wants a given popup or not (like most banking sites use popups and if you want to do online banking they have to be enabled on those sites).

DON'T start disabling Active X or she won't be able to use many needed sites including Windows Updates and online malware scans.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 March 2006 - 05:51 PM.

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

ouch!
i'm not sure, but i think my feelings took a smack there. i do make errors. removing googleAFE may be one of them. i spend hours if not days researching before i post, in the past i didn't. i'm allways learning. she doesn't like Dell, but it's a gift so...
i'm not going around removing stuff. this googleAFE is the only thing i have removed myself. everything removed by spybot and ad-aware is backed up in case of any problems with apps. the pc is new and needs Dell stuff for support. googleAFE probably could have been left alone and she would never know.
all is updated. and ty, i did see Windows Defender Beta2 when i was at microsoft.
i'm not disabling active xs, ty. all of them are good ones, except Wildtangent. but thats for here games and not up to me to say good or bad. it is her pc.
the popup blocker is activated allready (probably by default).
i explained to her that there are a lot of programs that come with the pc but are not installed. i also suggested she leave those alone. she may want them later.

anyway, it was IE that i opened when msantispy and windows alerted me of the BHO.

i'm trying to not bother you all with obvious stuff. but i think i just did.

Enthusiast, i'll bet when i opened IE and i right clicked on the tool bar to activated google,thats what ms antispy and windows noted. because thats the ap prior to the alerts. if so, thats exactly what i don't want to bother you all with.

but why is this happening? right click on the tool bar,McAfee and google are there. however, if i tick google, McAfee appears. tick McAfee, google appears.

ty, igo
Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users